• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Doyler

Hello

I'm having some issues with my new JP6. When I originally took delivery it was humming quite a lot and wash't grounded properly which made me think the pickups weren't wired properly. Back to the factory to be re-wired.

Now it's back and the humming has gone but it still doesn't sound right. It just sounds a bit weak... I can't get a pinch harmonic on the low E no matter how hard I try. I feel like it's a set up issue though as I can get pinch harmonics out of unplugged guitars usually. When I try on this guitar it just feels really muted.

I know this might sound silly but I really can't get on with this guitar until I can get the pinch harmonics. It just sits in the corner and I play my old PRS because it sounds so much better.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does the string height have anything to do with this kind of thing? Trem height etc? I almost want to send it back completely it is so disappointing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - I got this new from the factory and I feel like it isn't living up to the JPs I have played before.

Cheers

Matt

mikeller

Matt -

I would indeed recommend some fresh strings, then, if that doesn't help, check with customer service. It could be a set-up circumstance.

Doyler

Hi. Thanks for the response. The strings are brand new and I have tried 9s and 10s to see if it makes a difference but no luck.

Tollywood

Hi Matt, are you using coated strings?

I tried coated strings and I like how they feel, but they stifle my pinch harmonics. I only use ernie ball super slinky 9s and harmonics come easily.

Doyler

Thanks for the comments. I've got EB slinky hybrids on at the moment, 10-42. Defs my favourite gauge!

I'll have a go at raising the action this evening and let you know how I get on.

Just out of interest, what are the implications (if any) of raising the trem height vs raising each of the saddles separately?

Doyler

Spent about 30 mins this morning playing with the term height, saddle height, term angle etc. and have had a lot of success. I haven't needed to go as high on the string height as on my PRS but am getting some sweet squealing' pinch harmonics!

Thanks for the advice, very much enjoying the new guitar now! :)

Top Bottom