• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Tom F

I've been MM-less for a while now, after selling my pretty awesome Classic Stingray 5 and having the opportunity to buy a bass that I had lusted after for years. The dream bass wasn't as dreamy as I had hoped, so after trying to love it for several months, I was able to swing a deal to rescue this Bongo from Guitar Center in its place. It's pretty unusual to see a bongo in Guitar Center, let alone a single H, so I was very pleasantly surprised to find it. Its a newer model with the new design tuning machines. Sounds great, and maybe he best feature is its weight. Came in at 7 pounds, 12.5 ounces on my postal scale.

Will probably swap the pickguard out for something different at some point (thinking tort or maybe even black ice if I can track one down) but for now I'm just enjoying the single h. I had made a comment years ago that I felt like I was wasting the dual humbucker bongo I had, and after having this a few days I'm pretty sure I'm right. I also have to say that Jack, and Big Poppa, and all the other single h Bongo proponents have been totally right. Point, shoot and destroy!

image.jpg image.jpg

tunaman4u2

You need a new Bongo head my friend!

I'll take my Bongo 5HH... 4 band EQ with a 2 pickups. COMPLETELY rocks & gets tons of compliments as well! Bongo H is pretty sweet too!

mmbassplayer

Pretty sure the perfect bass still has a single H black ice PG. In stock. Welcome to the addiction know as the single H Bongo. JOSH

Tom F

You need a new Bongo head my friend!

I'll take my Bongo 5HH... 4 band EQ with a 2 pickups. COMPLETELY rocks & gets tons of compliments as well! Bongo H is pretty sweet too!

I still have fond memories of the HH no goes I've owned, and certainly wouldn't kick one out of the house! I tend to be a set it and forget it kind of guy, so the single H supports that side of me. Definitely need a new Bongo head regardless!

Nice one!

Thanks!

Pretty sure the perfect bass still has a single H black ice PG. In stock. Welcome to the addiction know as the single H Bongo. JOSH

They do - very cool! Actually went through a bunch of pickguards online after posting this and decided to get a clear guard that I could have some fun with. Maybe not as cool as my hand painted day of the dead HH guard but I'll do my best.

Tom F

Congrats - great Bongo!

Thanks!

the single h bongo power is spreading.. heheh

congrats!

MrM

This is power that deserves to spread. I'm going to live with the semi dead rounds that are on it now, but I'm really looking forward to a new set of Slinkies or maybe even some Cobalts.

For what its worth, I can totally imaging how amazing the the single H-piezo combo would be on a fretless. Lucky for me the gear fund is currently empty. :)

stu42

Congrats on a great and rare find. As for strings...definitely take a chance on the Cobalts. They sound awesome on the Bongo H!!

Tom F

Congrats on a great and rare find. As for strings...definitely take a chance on the Cobalts. They sound awesome on the Bongo H!!

Thanks! Thinking I'll give the cobalts a spin on this one - should be a monster.

Clear pickguard ordered. Now time to find some designs/pictures to go under it!

Golem

Thanks! Thinking I'll give the cobalts a spin on this one
- should be a monster.

Clear pickguard ordered. Now time to find some designs/
pictures to go under it!

If you're handy with image editing, you could add a bogus
second PU, a realistic image of maybe a giant P-PU, under
your clear PG.

There really IS something about the 1-H sound, and it's
not just the "point-n-shoot" thing, cuz mine's got the 1-H
magic but it's NOT point-n-shoot simple, cuzzz ... it's got
additional PUs in the bridge saddles so I do have a bit of
PU balancer twiddling to tempt me, but I never play my
old HH anymore. Used to have 2 of those, down to 1 now
and just not playing that 1.

Another cool thing to stick under a clear PG is a set list.
It doesn't hafta be legit. Could be a mix of Jonnie Denver,
Stravinsky, and other stuff that 'nobody' really ever plays.

Last edited:

tunaman4u2

I'll have to try one of the Bongo 5H one day. I imagine the magic is not having 2 pickups cancel each other out a bit, like a jazz with both volumes full up.

Tom F

Single H for the win!! And lightweight to boot.

I actually like that pickguard with the black.

It's growing on me, although I'm still going to toss the clear guard on for a while and see if I can come up with something cool.

If you're handy with image editing, you could add a bogus
second PU, a realistic image of maybe a giant P-PU, under
your clear PG.

There really IS something about the 1-H sound, and it's
not just the "point-n-shoot" thing, cuz mine's got the 1-H
magic but it's NOT point-n-shoot simple, cuzzz ... it's got
additional PUs in the bridge saddles so I do have a bit of
PU balancer twiddling to tempt me, but I never play my
old HH anymore. Used to have 2 of those, down to 1 now
and just not playing that 1.

Another cool thing to stick under a clear PG is a set list.
It doesn't hafta be legit. Could be a mix of Jonnie Denver,
Stravinsky, and other stuff that 'nobody' really ever plays.

Love the ideas, especially the additional pickup. :) Probably going to go with cow print out of the gate (or something similarly weird).

I'll have to try one of the Bongo 5H one day. I imagine the magic is not having 2 pickups cancel each other out a bit, like a jazz with both volumes full up.

No, the magic of the single H is the pickup placement and the 3 band EQ instead of 4.

I agree that it is probably more the placement and EQ than anything. Although I did always keep the pan slightly off center with the HH Bongo's I had over the years, so there may be something to that too. I still have much love for the HH Bongo though, just digging the H at the moment.

+1

On mine "one gig burned in" fresh set of Cobalts, ...much better that a factory set of slinkys!!!

Cobalts are next on the list!

Tom F

I still think the HH is great, although I've never had the pleasure of owning an HS. And like I said, I would never kick an HH out of the house if it showed up!

The H is everything I like about a Stingray with a different sound and feel. The Bongo EQ, even with 3 bands, really is a beautiful thing. Would happily buy BP, Dudley, and the team from BMW who collaborated on the design a cold bottle of birch beer should I ever have the opportunity!

Top Bottom