• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Dr.Strangenote

Curious to know if you all got a 1 piece body, 2 piece, 3 piece, etc? I see some that have a solid 1 piece (what it looks like), some have more than 1 piece. The one that I got seems to have a 3 piece body. I'm curious to know the specs on yours.

A question to EBMM; Why not make all them a solid 1 piece mahogany body? I do understand that this is standard for most guitars, and then a finish or maple cap applied, especially for BFRs since the mahogany tone block is there with glued wings. Going by most of the pics, I am seeing solid 1 piece african mahogany on most but not on all 2014 PDN guitars showing up.

No complaints here, I love my JP6! I am just curious to know..

DrewH

I almost pulled the trigger on a L3...but...it was a 3 piece body, and it was very apparent. If I had ordered one and I ended up with a 3 piece body, I would have been very upset. No excuse for a limited edition and very surprising from MM.

mystixboi1

I feel like a new asking this, but how could you tell it was a three-piece body? Can you see it in the greens of the wood?

And does it make a difference if it's a three piece or two piece body versus one piece? Does it affect the tone? I'm curious.

Kenji20022

This is seriously one of the silliest things to nit pick about. And just to clarify pointing this towards DrewH.

There's not structural difference between 1/2/3 piece bodies. It's not a flaw, nor is it a problem. If that's what kept you from buying a limited edition L3, then I can just say you're seriously missing out.

This is just a case of looking for things to fault, a lot of EBMMs have solid paint. And some people absolutely love their guitars, would you feel differently knowing that your guitars that have paint were 2/3 piece bodies? :rolleyes:

Benji Peterson

This is seriously one of the silliest things to nit pick about. And just to clarify pointing this towards DrewH.

There's not structural difference between 1/2/3 piece bodies. It's not a flaw, nor is it a problem. If that's what kept you from buying a limited edition L3, then I can just say you're seriously missing out.

This is just a case of looking for things to fault, a lot of EBMMs have solid paint. And some people absolutely love their guitars, would you feel differently knowing that your guitars that have paint were 2/3 piece bodies? :rolleyes:

I completely agree.

mystixboi1

That's what I was thinking too but I thought I was missing something

DrewH

Let me clarify. On a transparent finished body, where the wood being pieced together IS the top wood, it should not be more than a 2 piece body. The L3 I saw not only had very clear lines and grain that didn't match but the stain on the middle section was lighter than the 2 outer sections. If I had blindly ordered THAT guitar, I wouldn't have been happy. I own Music Man guitars and love them. I was just pointing out something I thought wasn't up to usual MM standards. Thats all.

Dr.Strangenote

I guess it's luck of the draw in regards to the body. Again, no complaints at all. The JP6 that I have sounds fabulous, sustain is forever and the 3 pieces makes no difference to me tonally. I am only curious to know why they are inconsistent with choice of blanks. I'm wondering if maybe the first few made were solid 1 piece african mahogany blanks, the next batch 2 piece, the last batch 3 piece, etc. Maybe it's cost effective, to have several vs 1 solid piece. I too would think a limited run and a transparent finish would warrant a 1 piece, or a really superb match on grain if using more than 1. No harm in asking I hope.. Only wanted to know if there was any reason some have 1 solid body, some have multiple pieces on this limited run.

Magic Jason

While I couldn't care less if my Olive gold Luke III and my candy red AL HH are made out of multiple pieces... I must admit that I'd be pissed if my pdn AL SSS shows up with a body made out of more than 2 pieces.

Painted and/or transparent finishes are indeed a different story ... visually.

Magic Jason

I almost pulled the trigger on a L3...but...it was a 3 piece body, and it was very apparent. If I had ordered one and I ended up with a 3 piece body, I would have been very upset. No excuse for a limited edition and very surprising from MM.

Well I DO agree!!!

AJS

My Neptune Blue JP6 is 2 piece, but matched so well you have to look very closely to tell.

Luc

My Blue Dawn Luke has got 3 pieces, and under certain lighting you can see the lines. I don't like the lines, but it sounds awesome and that's what's most important. Regarding previous statements: you can see the pieces on a non-transparent color too.

straycat113

EBMM has a reputation for top shelf quality control and building instruments with amazingly figured tops and necks. On a guitar like this I understand where Dr Strangenote is coming from and on a finish like this a 2 piece body should be the max. No matter how great anyone's QC is a few mishaps always appear which someone who is not guitar savy would even notice. Not the case here.

Top Bottom