• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kestrou

From a thread about a week and a half ago (here: http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/59763-what-color.html), picked up a very unusual Morse guitar...

I'd never seen or heard of another quite like it... Other than in Steve's hands when an identical guitar was presented to each of the signature artists in this unusual True Gold color with solid rosewood neck for the 25th anniversary shows.

morse_true_gold1.png

And here's a short video clip from which the picture above was taken:

Once I got it in hand, saw that the neck plate, in addition to the serial number is inscribed "Custom Made", so started doing some detective work, and puzzle pieces started coming together...

I bought it from a guy in Utah, who wouldn't say who he bought it from but did admit it was from Las Vegas...

Steve's son, Kevin Morse, has been living in Las Vegas for several years (although recently moved back to Florida) playing in a band called New World Martyr (who opened for Flying Colors on their first-album tour a couple years ago) and regularly played a guitar identical to the one that was given to his dad...

morse_true_gold2.jpg

That was enough of a lead for me to contact Kevin Morse directly - who said he sold/traded it to Guitar Center in Las Vegas about a year ago - and that when he got rid of it, there was a black DiMarzio Clip-Lock Strap (just like his old man! :) ) installed on it - and the guitar I received came with exactly that! Everything "fit", but Kevin Morse didn't have a record of the serial number to confirm 100%...

Thus, contacted EBMM customer service, who confirmed the serial number of this guitar *is* the one that was provided to Steve.

So, herewith I present to you, the one and only Steve Morse True Gold guitar - made personally for Steve and gigged for the 25th Anniversary presentations!

morse_true_gold3.jpg

Certainly didn't know that's what this was when buying it, but will now be treasured and I'm so thankful this guitar didn't end up in a yard sale, "lost to history" with no one ever recognizing what it was...

Kevin

pentaspan

awe-some!...and great provenance for some extra $$$, if you ever decide to sell it (good idea to print that pic of Kevin & info to keep in the case).

kestrou

Crazy score. Congrats. Does Steve know about this? :D

I'm not sure...

Steve's son, Kevin, knows - and now lives at least somewhat in the area (not sure if he's "back at home" or out on his own?)

Steve's guitar tech, our very own forum member Tommy, knows - but is pretty busy at the moment on another teching gig and can't chat much right now.

Since Steve and I go to the same hairdresser (just a joke, boys, just a joke - you had to see the picture! :) ), I'm sure we'll cross paths sometime though!

Kevin

ozzyrules

From a thread about a week and a half ago (here: http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-guitars/59763-what-color.html), picked up a very unusual Morse guitar...

That was enough of a lead for me to contact Kevin Morse directly - who said he sold/traded it to Guitar Center in Las Vegas about a year ago -

Certainly didn't know that's what this was when buying it, but will now be treasured and I'm so thankful this guitar didn't end up in a yard sale, "lost to history" with no one ever recognizing what it was...

Kevin

It did kinda end up in a yard sale: GC !! Pretty sad

kestrou

Amazes me how people don't appreciate things that are given to them.............................

Well, I don't want to slam on the boy TOO hard.

He did gig it for years - and specifically said it was used for a lot of recording because of the great tone - so it's not like he immediately unloaded it for a handful of dollars.

I would bet everybody's sold a guitar or two in their youth that they later regret (my hand's in the air :) ) and maybe he'll feel that way about this one.

In the meantime, he sounded like a well spoken young man (is about 23yo) in my conversation with him - so I'm casting no aspersions!

Kevin

Top Bottom