• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Eric O'Reilly

Im really intrigued, eventide has said it can do all the algorithms from all the factor pedals, and we all know they are the bomb! Eventide makes the best delays and reverb ambient stuff in the biz, but i really want it for the harmonizer detune effects to get that Vh 90s F.U.C.K and balance tone, plus a host of other things, like the 1984 tone, and all the options look cool, but has anyone tried it yet? $500 is a real plunge for someone like me, but it sounds so COOL! I was even looking at used H3000 rack units but they are around a grand, i really like eventide from what ive seen so far, but anyone else?

Last edited:

mikeller

Yes indeed - bought mine about 4 weeks ago. I am having a blast with it!! Replaced 3 pedals on my board plus gave me an incredible amount of additional versatility.

It helps if you have have an iOS device but everything is tweakable on the unit too.

I have saved algo lists on my iPad and can move onto the H9 whatever I need for a specific setlist need. The really cool thing is the unit has 99 presets, but the iOS can save an infinite number of user presets. If you only need say 8 for a gig, the H9 can be set to ignore the other 92 (for example) so you don't have to cycle thru all 99....

Highly recommend it

Eric O'Reilly

Thats cool, i have the iphone 6 plus so the app would work good on that, but i have a question, can you use two effects at once? Say a harmonizer detune effect, along with a delay? or a reverb? Because i want it for a van halen sounding harmonizer, but want to use it with a delay or reverb, can you make a preset like that? 2 or 3 effects at once?

mikeller

No, only one effect at a time. However, that said, many of the harmonizer algo's include delay's or verbs. One of the verbs called ModEchoVerb (I think) is essentially as the name applies.

You can download the iOS app for free and "look" at all the algorithms and presets available.

Eric O'Reilly

Thank you very much, the mod echo verb patch, can you pick which mod, echo, and verb? But i really want this harmonizer, i try to use cheap chorus to sound like a harmony detune effect but its lame, i love eventide. Ive never used a hamonizer before, so its gonna be fun! I cant wait!

mikeller

No, but every perimeter is tweakable.

Eventide has a series of like 30 short videos on setting up/adjusting the h9 and the control app. Most are only a minute or two long - you should watch them. You can also search on the Timefactor, Modfactor, Space and Pitchfactor and listen to some of the algorithms - all are available for purchase with the h9 ($20 each) and most come with a handful of presets of which can all be modified and saved as user presets.

I am not a big fan of multi-effect processors or working with presets, But, this one is special, because the quality is very good, and it really isn't a muti-effect processor, and it has an almost limitless amount of possibilities

Astrofreq

I have one as well. I haven't had much time to sit down with it, but the time I have, I really like it. I'm a LONG time Eventide user, so I really "get" how their stuff works. I had an H3000 for decades, so the deep editing is natural to me. I still have a bunch of analog effects on my pedalboard, but the H9 is the go-to pedal for everything else that I might not want in a single pedal form.

I liked their Factor pedals, but never ended up keeping any of them because they were IMHO too much of one thing. I emailed them years ago that they need to make a pedal in which the user can choose the algorithms. I'm sure my email along with hundreds of others led to what is now the H9.

Incidentally, it sounds better than the factor line to my ears. If you get a chance to play with one, keep in mind that for some weird reason, Eventide presets are almost always over-the-top unusable sounds with the mix super wet. It can do subtle effects amazingly well.

Eventide does reverb extremely well. The RingModulator, phaser and chorus is top notch. I still have a Phase 90 for phaser though. :)

mikeller

radrock - I used my free coupon for the phaser. I also have a RetroSonic Phaser (which is based on the Phase 90). I have gotten some good phaser sounds on the H9, but haven't yet matched the RetroSonic. Have you had any success coming close to a vintage analog phaser?

Yeah, I agree, the presets are over the top in most cases, but are certainly simple to dial back.

I just bought the Band Delay - love that sound!

Eric O'Reilly

I really really want one! I think the next piece of kit i buy will be one, i was gonna buy a used peavey 5150, but i could get a good high gain pedal like a surh riot to make my marshall sound like one, and use the h9, i really cant stop watching the demos, it sounds like hours of fun, and could really change the way i write, i have no ambient or reverb effects or mod effects, ive been very old school, but really want to expand and experiment with sounds.

Tollywood

I really really want one! I think the next piece of kit i buy will be one, i was gonna buy a used peavey 5150, but i could get a good high gain pedal like a surh riot to make my marshall sound like one, and use the h9, i really cant stop watching the demos, it sounds like hours of fun, and could really change the way i write, i have no ambient or reverb effects or mod effects, ive been very old school, but really want to expand and experiment with sounds.

Hi Eric,

I have a Suhr Riot and I run it through my Roccaforte, which is very similar to a Marshall. I am very happy with the pedal. You and I have basically the same tone, so I think you would be happy.

gregmusi

How are you guys using your H9? In your effects loop, out in front? My concern is that the H9 is really a stereo pedal and without a two amp setup (or wet/dry/wet) I'm worried about sacrificing the tone when running it in mono.

mr.b

I'm running a H9 and loving it. Really pleased with the sonic quality of it and the sheer amount of tweaking to be had. No doubt that you can go as deep into the editing as you dare and still not fully explore the limits of the device. I run mine into the front of the amp as it is used for filter & modulation. However, I plan to get a second one to replace my Flashback X4 & Hall of Fame pedals and run in the effects loop of my amp and deal with time based effects.

gregmusi

I'm running a H9 and loving it. Really pleased with the sonic quality of it and the sheer amount of tweaking to be had. No doubt that you can go as deep into the editing as you dare and still not fully explore the limits of the device. I run mine into the front of the amp as it is used for filter & modulation. However, I plan to get a second one to replace my Flashback X4 & Hall of Fame pedals and run in the effects loop of my amp and deal with time based effects.

What I'm really looking at it using for pitch shifting, delay, chorus, verb, etc... so loop for me

wheres my pick?

How is using it live, is there anyway to switch algorithms except for the big wheel? How do you guys switch it live?

mikeller

How is using it live, is there anyway to switch algorithms except for the big wheel? How do you guys switch it live?

Yes - there are two footswitches on the H9 - one cycles thru the presets, the other activates or bypasses. The big button in the middle will reverse/forward the cycling so you don't have to cycle thru your entire preset list to get to the beginning again.

Live is a snap. I just set mine up with maybe 8 or 9 presets and tell it to ignore the remaining available presets (there are 99 allowed). That way for example if I have 8 presets it will go from 8 back to 1....

W

W.Suitor

If you want the EVH 1984, 5150, and **** tone, please try a Boss PS5 Super Shifter! It's simply perfect for all three sounds, and costs significantly less than the Eventide. Check out YouTube user 'Kentcarlevi' for examples of killer EVH tones!
Im really intrigued, eventide has said it can do all the algorithms from all the factor pedals, and we all know they are the bomb! Eventide makes the best delays and reverb ambient stuff in the biz, but i really want it for the harmonizer detune effects to get that Vh 90s F.U.C.K and balance tone, plus a host of other things, like the 1984 tone, and all the options look cool, but has anyone tried it yet? $500 is a real plunge for someone like me, but it sounds so COOL! I was even looking at used H3000 rack units but they are around a grand, i really like eventide from what ive seen so far, but anyone else?

Eric O'Reilly

Im no snob and think boss makes some cool stuff. But eventide is the bomb! And the quality of there effects are top notch and yes price is a factor, but id rather spend the $ and have an endless well of stuff to experiment with.

Eric O'Reilly

I just checked out kent carlevi, he plays great but his tone is just ok, i already have that tone with the line6 pod i have, and eventide effects can not be matched in any way, its a lot of scratch but its worth how much fun it will be.

Top Bottom