• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bob123

Love my axis... hate the top. Kind of a "lame duck" unfortunately. Also, not the hugest fan of the plastic binding...

Pretty experienced in guitar building and modding, so, theres a poignant solution for me. RETOP IT :)

It's a quilt blue axis, nothing special, and its REALLY beat up. Not concerned about any opinions on resale value please. That said, I will respect Mr. Ball's wishes and will not be placing an EBMM logo (it will keep the serial back plate however). Im even removing the "made in san luis obispo" screen on the rear of the headstock.

Disclosure out of the way, lets begin shall we :) (I work quickly, bear with me) Heres a good teaser, more to come tomorrow.
(edit, theres no gaps, thats just the glue)
20141118_181858_resized_zps5e96e593.jpg

kestrou

Please give lots of explanation along the way - because I'm hoping I might learn something! :)

Kevin

mtrejo

Most excellent choice! That's a nice specimen there. Will be watching anxiously. Lots of pictures along the way if you can PLEASE.

Stratty316

You should post a before pic of said Axis just so we can see the whole transformation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob123

Don't worry guys, I'll go into some modicum of detail for ya.

Its painfully simple though, I will be sending the body through the planer, until it goes to the thickness required, then I will be gluing the top to the body. Then I place it on the router table for about 30 seconds and to to town trimming it to the body.

From there, I will take another trim bit and a plunge router, do some new pickup routes and follow the neck joint.

It's truly not a complicated process, Im kinda shocked its not done more to be honest. Tops on these things are so hit or miss. My EVH was about 300000% better than my axis, but most EVH's have (sorry) (in my taste) terrible tops.

edit: I've done this before as well, sorta. This one didn't come out so well, but it was a long time ago as well, my skills have been sharpened since then ;)

dscf0219ze.jpg

Last edited:

Eric O'Reilly

I think this is going to be fun! What kind of oil or stain are you rubbing the top with to make the grain stand out better? Danish oil or something to that effect?

mr.b

That is a NICE bookmatch. I do like a spalted maple top on guitars so this should look stellar.

I await with baited breath ...

Top Bottom