• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Welcome to Day 8 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

We're on the home stretch folks! Three guitars left to share before we hit 2015!

Past Days: #2014-1 | #2014-2 | #2014-3 | #2014-4 | #2014-5 | #2014-6 | #2014-7

For today's NYNGD, we have a Guitar Center limited run Axis with a Cherry Burst top, rosewood fretboard, and chrome-covered DiMarzio's:

photo_0001.jpg

photo_0002.jpg

photo_0003.jpg

This guitar is from a special run that was done for Guitar Center in 2009. The first thing you notice when you pick this guitar up is that it's HEAVY. Way heavier than any other Axis I own. She's also very bright sounding. I've wondered once or twice if it's possibly an all-maple body with a maple top. However, AFAIK the body is the standard basswood with a maple cap -- does anyone know different? I never asked Derek or Glen about this...

Second interesting point is that, despite my large EBMM collection, this is my first Cherry Burst Axis! No particular reason why... I haven't been avoiding Cherry Bursts, but I guess I just haven't found one that floated my boat. Until now. The chrome-topped DiMarzios and chrome knob are a nice change of pace and add a classiness. I believe this run is the first example of EBMM using the chrome-covered pickups.

In any case she's a great Axis and one that's got it's own personality that sets it apart.

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day!

Thanks for looking everyone!

Past Days:

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. My answer is here!)

kbaim

Thats Cherryburst?
Color looks very orange on my screen.

Thought cherry was cherry looking...i remember looking at one about 10 years ago that was very dark red

dibart77

Thats Cherryburst? Color looks very orange on my screen. Thought cherry was cherry looking...i remember looking at one about 10 years ago that was very dark red

Nah… You're thinking of BLACK Cherry Burst. That's this:

photo_0001.jpg

Cherry burst is basically gold/amber in the middle with a red burst around the edges. Think Sunburst or Honey Burst but the burst is done with red instead.

From the Music Man site:

cb.jpg

Tollywood

This one is very pretty, Jeff. The rosewood fretboard looks very light; almost like the pau ferro boards.

Top Bottom