• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Eric O'Reilly

I am in the market for a new amp, i want the peavey 6505 mini head when its out, its $499 but i could get the used 6505+ combo for $399, but i want a head and cab. But also both amps are made in china, but i trust peavey and there qc. But have also thought about an old 5150 combo, there very loud and i would never be able to put it past 1 since i live in an apt. The mini head is switchable to 1 watt! Which is cool. And i love the look of the mini head. The 6505+ combo is good ive played them before, its 60 watts but sounds good low. But im thinking of saving the $ for the mini and matching cab. Any suggestions? I have $300 saved for the amp so far, and would need another $200 for the head and prob another $100-150 for the cab. What are your thoughts?

kimonostereo

Have not tried the 6505, but have owned a first run Peavey 5150 when they first came out. I just had to have it and could not live with it because it was sooo uncontrollably loud!

I now own a 5150iii 50-watt which is much better with getting an awesome sound at bedroom volumes. The biggest drawback to the 50-watt version is that there is a volume jump from CH1 to CH2 (green to blue). This isn't an issue if you are mainly using the amp for CH2 and use another amp for clean, but it defeats the purpose of having one amp. Channel 3 is great for metal and lead guitar tones. From what I've read on forums, the combo version of this amp does not have the volume jump from CH1 to CH2. Not sure what mods were made to achieve this. Something you might want to look into, but not sure of what they go for new.

That said, I really like the EVH 5150iii, but I really wish I could use the clean channel.

Eric O'Reilly

I too like the evh version but they are out of my price range. And i really love peavey, i love my wolfgang special usa, and my ax40 d. But i am thinking the mini head would be best for its 1 watt mode, and has a host of cool feautures. The made in china part bothers me a bit, but they look very strurdy, and peavey has great products, i just am debating the mini head or an old 5150 combo, but im affraid it would be much too loud. But the little mini head looks sooooo cool! And i would have to get a cab too

Stratty316

I sold my 5150 Combo because of how loud it was. Unless your gigging it's really not worth it.. But then you have the weight issue... So damn heavy! I would lean towards the 6505 Mini at this point.

Eric O'Reilly

Help i just found a great deal on a real 5150 120 watt head, i really want it, but i live in an apt. I know i will never crank it past 1 , but have always wanted one! Or should i try the chinese mini 6505? They are the same price, believe it or not. I played a 6505 head at gc at very low volumes and it sounded great! I need input! Alot of people say these amps are super loud, but i just want the tone, and the preamp is the tone on these amps the power sec runs clean, so i wont need to crank it to get the tone. I really want to get it, please any input.

jptortor

If you are looking at the mini 6505, it might be worth checking out the Jet City JC22h. It'a also an imported amp, but it has great build quality and sounds AWESOME. It's a 20 watt Soldano designed channel switcher. There is definitely some overlap in tones with the 6505.

mystixboi1

I had to jet city amp for a day but the loop sucked. It's absolutely sucked.

I have a 5150 III 50 watt and it's perfect for playing at low levels. I use a Line 6 pod XT live in the effects loop to control this channel switching as well as giving an EQ bump for the clean channel to make it as loud as the second channel.

Good luck with your search, either of those PEavy amps are great.

Eric O'Reilly

Im really gonna do it! Full size half stack in the bedroom!!!!!! Boo ya!!!! Always wanted it, and made in usa has been a big deal for me latley. And i love the 5150 look as opposed to the 6505, i know, im nostalgic. I just need to get an old 5150 cab in real good shape, one more question, since its a half stack should i go straight or slanted cab? Im guessing slant?

Eric O'Reilly

Hows the loop on the 5150? Ive never used it, i also have a pod 2.0 i could run in the loop for effects like delay and verbs.

kimonostereo

If it's the Peavey original 5150, I'd say make sure you can play at a volume you can live with. That amp only had one volume and it was LOUD!

jptortor

Wow. I haven't run in to that problem, but I don't use many effects... Just a couple delays.

I had to jet city amp for a day but the loop sucked. It's absolutely sucked.

I have a 5150 III 50 watt and it's perfect for playing at low levels. I use a Line 6 pod XT live in the effects loop to control this channel switching as well as giving an EQ bump for the clean channel to make it as loud as the second channel.

Good luck with your search, either of those PEavy amps are great.

Eric O'Reilly

If it's the Peavey original 5150, I'd say make sure you can play at a volume you can live with. That amp only had one volume and it was LOUD!

I live in an apt, so i cant crank it, but i know it will sound great, ive played the 6505 stack at gc, on vol 1 and it was apartment volume and sounded great, but im sure it would sound better at 3 or 4. I mean even Evh's post vol on the 5150 was set on 4, and thats a live show!!!!

Eric O'Reilly

And everyone says " its ****in loud man!" But you dont have to crank it. The whole tone of the amp is the preamp gain structure, and the 4 6l6 power section is clean, just a tube PA for the 5 12ax7 pre, this amp does not have hardly any power tube breakup, thats not the sound its going for, the tone is the preamp, so it will sound the same on 1, or even .5

Eric O'Reilly

Ive tried the evh 5150 III, and to me, i think the peavey sounds way better, and raunchier, the evh is to squishy and compressed, i mean its great, but the old one is the real deal. And i cant wait for mine, now i have to find an old 5150 412 in real good shape, cuz the head is in immaculate shape.

lock-ny

I guess its too late but I would have grabbed the mini and a 1x12, I have one on order and I have a 5153 50 watt...you just don't ever need 120 watts and 65lbs in any situation or at even any gig anymore....just IMHO...but anyway happy NAD

Eric O'Reilly

Something about the mini head demos sounded cheesey to me, and i really want the real deal,i know i will get good sound out of it.

QuietSpike

I don't know why, but something about this thread makes me dizzy...

Get what you truly want, Eric. Otherwise you will just spend more money moving from one amp to another wishing you had just bought what you wanted in the first place. If it is too loud, you'll figure out how to deal with it...

Top Bottom