• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
So, I got a Classic Sabre last month - gloss black with heavily flamed maple neck. It weighs just over nine pounds, is unblemished. Sounds incredible. But I sort of find myself wanting to sell it because it is almost too good a bass for me. Is that crazy??

steve4765630

That's crazy. Far to few people play really good instruments. If you happen to own one, count yourself blessed and enjoy.

You're right. I own the Sabre and a really great G&L LB-100 and almost feel like my station in life as a player doesn't merit two incredible instruments. I think I will hang on to them and look for a great Sterling 5, though, and really mess up my outlook!

jazzyitalian

My brother is not Evil Kenival. But he owns a Harley. My neighbor isn't Tiger Woods, but he owns a $2,500 set of golf clubs. Don't let your happiness be defined by your perceived capabilities. You bought it. You love it. So keep it and play it.

Last edited:

MrMusashi

My brother is not Evil Kenival. But he owns a Harley. My neighbor isn't Tiger Woods, but he owns a $2,500 set of golf clubs. Don't let your happiness be defined by your perceived capabilities. You bought it. You love it. So keep it and play it.

poetry in my ears! :)

and i agree. keep it and play it

MrM

Mu5icM@n

That's not crazy at all. It's a totally normal feeling and you should act on it. Send the bass to me, I'll give you 100 bucks for it, and your problem will be solved!

Tom

bovinehost

Administrator
I'm glad there's no rule about having to display X amount of talent to own great basses.

I'd have a crappy Indonesian Squier and one of those Warwick battery powered bass amps.

Bassbiter

Hi!
Finally got myself a Sabre Classic. I wanted a sabre since The 80's, But never found a decently priced one before now.
Nice instrument.. comfortable, and The bridge pickup screems MUSIC MAN!
Only problem is...
The neck pickup is really low in volume compared with bridge pickup.(roughly I'd say 1/2 the volume)
I opened The bass to check The wiring and The pickup, But everything seems perfect...

Anyone here Had that problem?
I guess it's gonna be rather difficult to get a replacement pickup also, since this is the 16 pole, and the classic Sabre is out of production...

I'm happy for all replies!
Thanks

Bert

Hi!
Finally got myself a Sabre Classic. I wanted a sabre since The 80's, But never found a decently priced one before now.
Nice instrument.. comfortable, and The bridge pickup screems MUSIC MAN!
Only problem is...
The neck pickup is really low in volume compared with bridge pickup.(roughly I'd say 1/2 the volume)
I opened The bass to check The wiring and The pickup, But everything seems perfect...

Anyone here Had that problem?
I guess it's gonna be rather difficult to get a replacement pickup also, since this is the 16 pole, and the classic Sabre is out of production...

I'm happy for all replies!
Thanks

Only owned an Pre-Ernie Sabre, the front pickup was slightly quiter but not 1/2 the volume. Check the pickup height.
Plug the sabre to an amp all knobs full open, take a small scerwdriver and tab against the pole pieces.
You should hear an even loud pop by hitting the pole pieces. Just to make sure each coil is intact.

fpgui

I too recently bought a sledge sabre and had the same observation on pickups volume. I checked the "sweetwater" video demo of the classic sabre with different PUP selector settings and it seems this volume change is the same for all classic sabres as far as I can judge. Someone on a french forum said he raised the neck PUP to about the same level as the bridge one. I did that and indeed it reasonably works. I haven't had much time to investigate (gone on vacation since) but I have to test this solution (interaction with strings as first sabres did ? what about the sound of setting 2/3 with both PUPs ?).

I'm curious to know what answers you got.

Francois.

Enrico89

Pickup position!

Hi guys! I have been buying a saber classic for a few months, but I have a problem, there is a lot of difference in volume between pickups, although adjusting it, the position is very ambiguous, that is, the neck pickup seems lower in volume and I have to record it very close to the strings ! do you know how to help me? Has it happened to any of you? thank you so much

Relsom

Yep, I emailed customer service and their reply was that it was normal for the neck pickup to be lower in volume. I think that is crazy. Looking for a solution...

danny-79

I'm glad there's no rule about having to display X amount of talent to own great basses.

I'd have a crappy Indonesian Squier and one of those Warwick battery powered bass amps.

:p seriously that’s made me laugh, and feel better! It’s an old thread and I’ve probably read it before but still. Tickled:)

Sparrowhawk

I'm trying to learn about my Sabre... it's a red '86 I believe... I looked it up a few years ago. I read somewhere else that these may have a 'lower output'... but I don't have much to compare to as it's the only Sabre I've ever seen in person. I have a cheap 6 string made into a fretless that sounds nowhere close to as good. I've owned other cheaper basses that never sound as good. I've borrowed basses that sound ok in comparison. I'm just wondering if the lower output is something that is characteristic of all Sabres or if it's an age thing or what... not much of a technician when it comes to basses either. It's my 3rd instrument... grew up playing piano, majored in percussion, but started playing bass out of high school and the Sabre was my first bass.
Just looking to learn more about it! Anyone? Bueller? Fry?"

Bert

I'm trying to learn about my Sabre... it's a red '86 I believe... I looked it up a few years ago. I read somewhere else that these may have a 'lower output'... but I don't have much to compare to as it's the only Sabre I've ever seen in person. I have a cheap 6 string made into a fretless that sounds nowhere close to as good. I've owned other cheaper basses that never sound as good. I've borrowed basses that sound ok in comparison. I'm just wondering if the lower output is something that is characteristic of all Sabres or if it's an age thing or what... not much of a technician when it comes to basses either. It's my 3rd instrument... grew up playing piano, majored in percussion, but started playing bass out of high school and the Sabre was my first bass.
Just looking to learn more about it! Anyone? Bueller? Fry?"

In which of the switch position do you have a low output? In all or the two pickups among themselves?
Your Sabre looks like an early Ernie Ball with the closed pickup covers and the 5 position switch.
The pickup Selector works a bit different as the "newer" classics.

Position Switch: Neck - 1 2 3 4 5 - Bridge

1 Neck pickup, both coils
2 Both pickups, both coils
3 Bridge pickup, both coils (Stingray)
4 One coil of neck pickup + both coils of bridge pickup
5 One coil of neck pickup only

Top Bottom