• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dibart77

Welcome to Day 3 of my annual New Year's New Guitar Days (NYNGD)!

Hi all! Thanks for the kind words and comments on yesterday's NYNGD #2015-2!

If you're not familiar or didn't stop by yesterday: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! Standard caveat: In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. My answer is here!

Today's NYNGD is a Silhouette with a sweet translucent teal finish -- but what really sets this guitar apart is the grain that shows through -- just check out those photos! This Silh is also the heaviest I own, weighing in at 8 pounds, 4 ounces! That's a full pound heavier than some of my other Silhouettes. Whatever's going on that makes this piece of wood heavier than usual, it also impacted the sustain -- this guitar rings for DAYS! Literally, you play a chord (unplugged) and it's still ringing 10 seconds later! Which for a floating Floyd Rose guitar is pretty rare.

Alas, according to the Reverb listing the guitar was supposed to be, "very clean with the exception of a few small dings shown in the photographs." (quoted from the listing). In fact, the previous owner apparently has a belt buckle with drill bits or drywall screws attached to it... The back is a DISASTER. First time in a long time that I got burned on an online transaction (and I have done a few). But the joke's on him, because he sold one of the best sustaining, best sounding Floyd-equipped Silhouettes for $900 shipped. Dumb-ass. (I know it adds "mojo", but no photos of the back of this one).

One other interesting note: this is the second original Floyd-equipped teal Silhouette I own, and the two serial numbers -- 93844 and 93857 -- are just 13 numbers apart and they were built the same day -- April 29, 1993. Same day! You know you have a lot of guitars when you buy two guitars TWENTY YEARS APART and they were built on the same day. That's pretty cool...

photo_0001.jpg

photo_0002.jpg

photo_0003.jpg

photo_0004.jpg

I'll be back tomorrow with another NYNGD: New Year's New Guitar Day!

Thanks for looking everyone!

classes_2012-2013-2014-2015.jpg

Past Days:
#2015-1 | #2015-2 | #2015-3 | #2015-4 | #2015-5 | #2015-6 | #2015-7 | #2015-8 | #2015-9 | #2015-10 | #2015-11 | #2015-12 | #2015-13 | #2015-14 |
#2015-1 | #2015-2 | #2015-3 | #2015-4 | #2015-5 | #2015-6 | #2015-7 | #2015-8 | #2015-9 | #2015-10 | #2015-11 | #2015-15 | #2015-16 | #2015-17
#2014-1 | #2014-2 | #2014-3 | #2014-4 | #2014-5 | #2014-6 | #2014-7 | #2014-8 | #2014-9 | #2014-10
#2013-1 | #2013-2 | #2013-3 | #2013-4 | #2013-5 | #2013-6
#2012-1 | #2012-2 | #2012-3 | #2012-4 | #2012-5 | #2012-6 | #2012-7

(The back story in case you're new to my NYNGD: For the past couple of years I've done a fun thing that most of you I think enjoyed, and I thought I would do it again this year. Every year, I am a slacker about keeping my Guitar Gallery up to date... So, as a fun holiday thing, let's launch a guitar in the Guitar Gallery each day leading up to New Years Eve! In the past I've received PM's about my collection and whether I play all of these guitars. :) The same question came up during my NYNGD posts a few years ago and my answer was pretty detailed and well thought-out, so please check it out here!)

(Also, in case anybody gets any funny ideas -- these guitars are not at my house. They are all in my very secure and alarmed studio facility. I usually only have two guitars floating around the house...)

Last edited:

kestrou

Awesome grain contrast - really sets this one off! :)

Most of my guitars have a sticky pad called "Guitar Scratch Pad" on the back - does a great job protecting them - and would cover the previous damage in this case.

Kevin

bhull

Looking at the pictures, one would never guess the back of it got jacked up. Probably some Texan wearing a dinner plate on his waist 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gurtejsingh

Fantastic grain! Pretty cool story on the s/n too!

So, is the one you were talking about when I had asked about reverb experiences?

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Razzle

That transparent finish is beautiful on that guitar, ash?

At first I was gonna say I don’t recall ever seeing a floyd Silo. But amazingly, a purple one showed up on the bay today!!! He wants a lot though, and it’s in Japan.

agt

Beautiful!!!

Sorry to hear about the scratches on the back, but, as you stated, grain and sustain considered, you certainly got the best of that transaction!

Can't wait to see the rest.

dibart77

So, is the one you were talking about when I had asked about reverb experiences?

Yep, this is the one...

At first I was gonna say I don’t recall ever seeing a floyd Silo. But amazingly, a purple one showed up on the bay today!!! He wants a lot though, and it’s in Japan.

The original Silhouette had a Schaller trem and a string locking mechanism above the nut. The '90s Silhouettes all had this spec -- Floating Floyd Rose, regular Floyd locking nut, 24-fret neck. I have 10 of them, and then 5 of the reissues from 2012. That purple one you see is a reissue, probably from the 2012 run (but I think there were also some other special runs for Japan). I have one of those purples.

upgraded pups too. Jeff, what's installed? thanks for sharing these.

Nah, man. These are definitely stock. the original pickup spec for Silhouettes was Dimarzio PAF Pro in bridge and neck positions, and a Dimarzio single coil in the middle.

MajtasticVoyage

Those are such cool guitars. I wish I could give one single, solitary F about them, though. Then again, it took me years before I fell in love with the Albert Lee... Cool pics, man!

Razzle

The original Silhouette had a Schaller trem and a string locking mechanism above the nut. The '90s Silhouettes all had this spec -- Floating Floyd Rose, regular Floyd locking nut, 24-fret neck. I have 10 of them, and then 5 of the reissues from 2012. That purple one you see is a reissue, probably from the 2012 run (but I think there were also some other special runs for Japan). I have one of those purples.

Well that's interesting. Now you got me curious. I recently got a Silo and haven't done a NGD yet. It's an unmolested case queen '95 but doesn't seem to have a bridge like any of those, here is mine. So don't mean to hijack your thread, but do you recognize it?

dibart77

Well that's interesting. Now you got me curious. I recently got a Silo and haven't done a NGD yet. It's an unmolested case queen '95 but doesn't seem to have a bridge like any of those, here is mine. So don't mean to hijack your thread, but do you recognize it?

Hmmm. Not sure if that is an EBMM bridge? I definitely don't think that's a 1995 EBMM bridge. A.J. or maybe Dudley or BP could answer for sure.

beej

Sorry to continue the hijack ... Razzle, I used to have an old Silhouette Special with that same bridge.

Razzle

Hmmm. Not sure if that is an EBMM bridge? I definitely don't think that's a 1995 EBMM bridge. A.J. or maybe Dudley or BP could answer for sure.

I asked and AJ said it was a Wilkinson bridge used in the 90's. thanks

Sorry to continue the hijack ... Razzle, I used to have an old Silhouette Special with that same bridge.

Oh NP at all. thanks

Top Bottom