• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

femur

Hi Guys

I found a MM Axis for sale, but i'm unable to see if it's a fake or not.
The seller sent me few pictures of it but i'm highly doubtful.

He says it's a 1997 model produced after EVH left ErnieBall but before they named the guitar "axis".
It may be transition model : no "axis" or evh signature on the head
Backplate is odd : no serial, only what appears to be the music man logo
No birdseye neck.

MM 10.jpg head.jpg MM 9.jpg MM 8.jpg MM 3 (2).jpg

What do you think?

Johnny Alien

I would be very skeptical with no serial number. There were certainly transition models but if I am correct those still had the toggle in the original position (unlike this one) and they did not have body contours. This doesn't look like a transitional model but I don't know if it's fake....no SN so I would just leave it alone if it were me.

custom53

1997 is a couple of years after the EVH model ended.. Still could be a transitional model, maybe an export.. I remember hearing about some of these without the Axis on the head stock. Can you compare it to a "known" Axis model near you..? The neck being "non birds eye" is what concerns me. The Sterling AX40 is almost identical to the Axis but without a birds eye neck.. Maybe the guy is trying to pass off one of those for an Axis.. All it would take is to change the Sterling Decal to EBMM on the head stock. Also, what is the asking price..?

My Axis

The AX40

Last edited:

femur

@Johnny Alien : Thanks. I'm very skeptical as well.

@Custom 53 : I can't compare it to a real one. The seller lives 800 km away. He's asking 1200€ ($1300) for it, mint condition.

Could it be an EX model? If it's a ax40, "sterling" should be visible on the backplate, i guess.

But whatever it is, the "no serial" thing is bugging me.

W

W.Suitor

The routing for the pickups looks questionable to me! That squared off shape for the pickup baseplate mounting screws does not resemble any of my Axis guitars. Tread carefully on this one!

femur

Now you mention it, the squared off shape for the pick up baseplate mounting screw is very similar to the sterling AX40.

I didn't see that. Bravo.

dibart77

FAKE! Pickup routing is wrong, the font on the back of the headstock is wrong, the logo on the front of the headstock is wrong and wrong placement, no serial number on neck plate. Run from this one!

Last edited:

Tollywood

FAKE! Pickup routing is wrong, the font on the back of the headstock is wrong, the logo on the front of the headstock is wrong and wrong placement, no serial number on heck plate. Run from this one!

+1 Run!

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

look_at_her

FAKE! Pickup routing is wrong, the font on the back of the headstock is wrong, the logo on the front of the headstock is wrong and wrong placement, no serial number on neck plate. Run from this one!

Jeff is right , run Forrest , run :)
If you want to talk Axis guitars , check his guitar gallery and you'll know instantly that THIS guy knows a thing or two ( perhaps a dozen or quardyf**ion ) about these axes :)

bhull

Another +1

I don't own an axis, but at just a glance, I also noticed the incorrect font on the back of the headstock and the lack of serial number.

Top Bottom