• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

sanderhermans

The luke 3 has passive pickups and active preamp. My guess is this will not work with emg's as these are allready active pickups. If i where you i would completely remove pickups AND all ellectronics including the preamp. Then install the emgs with 25k pots.

But then again if i where you i'd leave that awesome piece of gear allone and just buy a luke 2.

jgastineau

The luke 3 has passive pickups and active preamp. My guess is this will not work with emg's as these are allready active pickups. If i where you i would completely remove pickups AND all ellectronics including the preamp. Then install the emgs with 25k pots.

But then again if i where you i'd leave that awesome piece of gear allone and just buy a luke 2.

Yes - that was my plan to completely replace all the electronics. I'm more concerned about the physical fit of the pickups, since I've seen mentions of issues going from EMG's to passive on previous Lukes.

sanderhermans

Well im not sure about the physical measurements of both types of pickups but indeed emg could be a bit larger or smaller i'm sure the manufacturers websites have some measuremments on em. So you might want to visit the emg and dimarzio sites.
Another issue could be the fact that luke 3 guitars have non adjustable pickups so the emgs might sit too low and too far away from the strings... But that could be solved with a bit of foam underneath the pickups.

mr.b

Hey I have an L2 with the EMGs and setup that i'd happily swap the full circuit and pickups with you for the L3 HSS setup? straight swap = easy transition. get it? :rolleyes:

Tollywood

I think the EMGs are a tiny bit smaller than passive humbuckers.

When I bought a Bare Knuckles passive humbucker for my Luke 2, I had to specify "EMG" size.
I haven't installed it yet since I haven't bought the two singles or the pots and switch.

Last edited:

mr.b

Ah nice. What are you going for?

Well if the sale of your L3 pups fall through, give a shout please.

beej

Guys- friendly reminder that (1) this isn't the for sale thread, and (2) new members need 25 posts to sell there. Thanks.

jgastineau

I'm in the process of swapping in EMG pickups/electronics in for the original Dimarzio setup and have a couple of questions:

1. The original 5 position pickup switch from the Luke has 2 resistors installed. What are they for and do I remove them?

2. The output jack is long shaft. EMG specifies a Switchcraft 152B for a long shaft jack. Is that what this is or is it compatible?

Thanks, Jeff

Top Bottom