• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevRock

I'm liking it! Interesting they've moved away from the proprietary trem. But, overall, it's very classy, clean and minimalist. I love it!!

Last edited:

Razzle

I haven't had any issues with the JP bridges, and I do have several Floyds.

That neck in the pics doesn't look too roasted. But I love the roasted neck, nice touch.

Etudica

I'm not sure if I like the move to a Floyd. Not having the individual saddle height adjustments to match the neck radius perfectly is my main concern. Aren't all Floyd's radii set at 10" (or 12")??? And the JP16 neck is 17" radius?!

Sounds like this would lead to issues I've ran into with other Floyds getting the action set as low as possible... there's always one or two strings that fret out at some point... and no easy, quick way to fix it without saddle adjustments. The proprietary EBMM JP bridges were genius IMO, despite the fact I got a few lemons along the way that somehow made it through QC.

On the other hand, I think this is going to force me to jump on some of last year's models and stock up on the EBMM bridges!!!!

zzomer

Don't like it at all.
The original trem is the best I have ever played in terms of stability and keep in tune were floyed trems always tend to go out of tune in this way or another.
Also the scooped forearm contour, a big dislike and above all this price tag is way over what it should be for the specs.
It's the 1st time I don't like a JP guitar. That’s my opinion anyway.

Sorry...

jzeijen

I'm not sure if I like the move to a Floyd. Not having the individual saddle height adjustments to match the neck radius perfectly is my main concern. Aren't all Floyd's radii set at 10" (or 12")??? And the JP16 neck is 17" radius?!

Sounds like this would lead to issues I've ran into with other Floyds getting the action set as low as possible... there's always one or two strings that fret out at some point... and no easy, quick way to fix it without saddle adjustments. The proprietary EBMM JP bridges were genius IMO, despite the fact I got a few lemons along the way that somehow made it through QC.

On the other hand, I think this is going to force me to jump on some of last year's models and stock up on the EBMM bridges!!!!

The 'old' models aren't going anywhere, the JP16 just adds the opportunity to have a JP model with a floyd. I like the variety.

PBGas

So happy to see this!!!! I am not at all a fan of the stock bridge that has been used for years. Love the stability of a Floyd setup!

Will definitely be ordering one! This pretty much has been what I have wanted for a long time.

Looking forward to ordering one!

DrewH

There are special saddle shims you buy for the floyd that are used to radius the bridge correctly. This is standard practice on floyds and has been for decades. There are charts available that will tell you how many shims go under each saddle to achieve whatever radius you want. MM is obviously following this practice, just as all other manufacturers do. You've obviously never taken apart a floyd before :) Take your guitars apart. You can learn so much by doing so.

Mariner-aaron

I think it was a matter of time before a Floyd came on a jp. John himself wanted one originally but music man opted a for something custom. I know his tech maddie isn't going to happy about this lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrismilne

I love how it looks, unfortunately i've never played a JP Music man guitar i liked at all. I have an Axis (which could use some adjustments) and a Silhouette Special (which is setup perfectly), but the JP models (even the most expesnive ones) are always setup TERRIBLY at guitar center. I'll have to find one at a better music store, because it's a huge turn off. I've been a massive Dream Theater fan and used to own his Ibanez Signature model (the only guitar i've owned and sold, but regrest it now). As people have posted before on this topic, it's probably just the store not keeping up with the setup on these guitars. I really wanted the JP15 but it's a bit out of my price range right now.

Last edited:

MesaBeno

Can't speak for Floyd's, but on my JP15 my saddles don't particularly match the fretboard radius and it's still a shred machine. 17'' is flat enough, I suppose, that it doesn't affect it as badly as it would otherwise.

Dead-Eye

The MM trem does everything I need without dealing with the hassle of a Floyd. I'm actually seriously thinking about swapping my Ibanez 7-string for a JP7 - preferably a JP15-7, but that's a lot of money - mostly because I'm tired of the Floyd. So absolutely no interest in the JP16 from me. For anyone who likes Floyds, have fun :)

MajtasticVoyage

The aesthetics are growing on me. I wasn't thrilled at first. Kinda not surprised it's so "meh" given how there has been LITERALLY zero buzz about it. Not even speculation. I think people had no idea what to expect after the Majesty and then the 15's return to the classic style. It's basically a JP6 + JPXI + JP13 + Ibanez JPM all melded. Should be a pretty bad a** shred machine. I'm curious as to where they're hiding the piezo controls.

Was kinda hoping for an 8. Maybe next year.

Etudica

You've obviously never taken apart a floyd before :) Take your guitars apart. You can learn so much by doing so.

You are correct, I have never torn down a Floyd completely before. I only have 1 guitar with a true Floyd (PRS), and that's the one giving me trouble with getting the action as perfect as my EBMMs. I've also had a series of Jems with the edge trems, but again, the action was so perfect on them I never thought about the saddles.

So, thanks for the tip. Looks like I know what I'll be doing next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom