• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Hoogy

Hi guys,

I have a Music Man Silhouette 1999 and it is an amazing guitar. However, the previous owner changed the original bridge pick-up for a Seymour Duncan JB, why I am not sure but probably to get a higher output. This brings me to two questions:
- What was the original bridge pick-up in 1999? Di Marzio's virtual PAF, or different? e.g. custom wound Di Marzio's that sounds more vintage? The neck pick-up seems pretty original but I can't the type from the outside. I think different Di Marzio pick-ups where used over the years. Not sure about 1999.
- Are these original bridge pick-ups still available in US or preferably in Europe? (Live in Holland)

Thanks for your suggestions and advice, much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Johan

Hoogy

I found a DIMARZIO DP 261BK PAF Master Bridge black at the European distributor but not sure if is the right one ...

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
If I recall correctly, Music Man used DiMarzio PAF Pro (DP151) in the Silhouettes until 2001 when the Virtual PAF was introduced. DiMarzio do not make the Virtual PAF (DP197) any more, their website says the 36th Anniversary PAF Bridge (DP223) is the closest match. That would be my choice. The PAF Master is relatively new DiMarzio pickup and would also be a good choice, but would have less bass than the 36th anni. The PAF Pro will be both brighter and louder than those choices.

Last edited:

Hoogy

Thanks for the quick reply and the advice , really appreciate it. The interesting thing is, that the neck pick-up looks more like a Virtual PAF then a PAF pro ? That's why I assumed the virtual PAF's were the originals. See added picture. Cheers Johan

Attachments

• Musicman Silhouette Volledig.jpg
    Musicman Silhouette Volledig.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,045

Hoogy

Thanks, I placed the request at the serial number thread, I am a bit hesitant to open the guitar up, because I have to remove all the strings and that will have it's effect on the tremolo/bridge. The guitar is just perfect player right now in terms of string distance to the fretboard. Somebody told me I have to do a fixation on the bridge before you remove all the strings at once? I try to find something on this topic on the forum.

Hoogy

Fixated the tremolo/bridge on two sides, released the strings, but I thought the pick-up could be removed and checked for the product code on the other side. But is doesn't come out, it looks like I have to decompose the whole body? :) Wow, didn't know it was this complicated ... Do I really have to remove the whole bridge and top side to actually remove the pick-up element? Should have brought it to a guitar repair center in the first place, I guess.

Hoogy

Used a magnifying glass with some light and found a label with SH1N 0054 IEM39 on the neck pick-up. Googled the code, but is does not make any sense.

And a spring fell out, no idea what the function is, I think I overestimated my talents :) How do I get the spring of the pick-up into place? Any one?

Hoogy

Thanks Dead-Eye, you are absolutely right, It's a Seymour Duncan '59.
Somebody before me changed the original pick-ups to Seymour Duncans '59, both neck and bridge. A bit dissapointed in a way.
It has a really great vintage sound, nothing wrong with that, but why not sticking to the old DiMarzio pickups, they were designed for a vintage sound too. I guess I have to do some research in some good DiMarzio's for (modern) jazz and blues. Dr Kev suggested the 36th Anniversary PAF Bridge (DP223) and that sounds like a good advice. I can get the same for the neck. I am playing on a Victoria 5112. More suggestions are appreciated. :)

Dead-Eye

If it sounds great, why not keep them? Nothing wrong with Duncans. Or maybe the DiMarzio Bluesbucker would work for you in the neck with the 36th PAF in the bridge?

Hoogy

Thanks! I'll have a check on the Bluesbucker on youtube for the sound and you are right nothing wrong with Duncans, they sound great, I have them 335 thin line guitar as well. I was just curious about the original sound. I found out that the single coin is changed too. So far the results are:
- SH1N Seymour Duncan 59 neck
- Kinman AVn-59 single coin (made in Australia)
- SH4 0105 IEJ-19 Seymour Duncan bridge

I've attached the pictures. I've managed to find out were the springs go, frankly removing the pick guard made sense too :). But changing everything back to original or similar, is going to be a bit of an investment. Anyway, never to old to learn new stuff :)

Attachments

• Bridge Pickup SD.jpg
    Bridge Pickup SD.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 486
  • Single coin Kinman Avn 59.jpg
    Single coin Kinman Avn 59.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 434
  • Neck Pickup SD 59.jpg
    Neck Pickup SD 59.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 421

Stratty316

Thanks! I'll have a check on the Bluesbucker on youtube for the sound and you are right nothing wrong with Duncans, they sound great, I have them 335 thin line guitar as well. I was just curious about the original sound. I found out that the single coin is changed too. So far the results are:
- SH1N Seymour Duncan 59 neck
- Kinman AVn-59 single coin (made in Australia)
- SH4 0105 IEJ-19 Seymour Duncan bridge

I've attached the pictures. I've managed to find out were the springs go, frankly removing the pick guard made sense too :). But changing everything back to original or similar, is going to be a bit of an investment. Anyway, never to old to learn new stuff :)

Contact EBMM customer service. I believe they used to sell loaded pickguards. While it may not be period correct, it will be stock EBMM Silo if that's where you want to go.

Hoogy

Hi Stratty316, thanks I contacted Customer Service, they don't sell them anymore. Dr Kev was correct, it should have been PAF Pro's. They are not available, neither are the virtual PAF's. Maybe I'll go with the advice of Dead-Eye and get the Bluesbucker and the 36th in the neck. DiMarzio still seems to sell the PAF Pro (no 151), but maybe it is another horse then the ones in 1999?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
DiMarzio still seems to sell the PAF Pro (no 151), but maybe it is another horse then the ones in 1999?

It's the same as far as I know, just that music Man don't sell them. Call DiMarzio. I've heard their customer service people are very cool and helpful.

BTW, just in case you weren't aware, 36th anniversary comes in two flavors - bridge (DP223) and neck (DP103) models.

Hoogy

Thanks Mizzle, I found them, I contacted customer services of DiMarzio, great guys, the only thing that can not be found original anymore is the single coin but the Kinman '59 is a pretty sweet pick-up, so that's ok.

Top Bottom