• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

dmarotta

I just had the opportunity to spend two days with the new Caprice and Cutlass basses.
I recorded them in my studio and did some comparisons with some of my own basses and I can report that these basses will be a great addition to the Musicman catalogue. Think classic , familiar sound with a little Musicman edge. The neck shapes play like butter and the bass sounds sit beautifully in the tracks I recorded. Nice and punchy but with warmth . Cant wait till they are available. I think many of us will add them to our stable of basses.

sanderhermans

Sound samples? Im really interested about these basses altough they will propably not be for me....

dmarotta

Ill try to post sound samples. The tracks I used for Musicman to evaluate the basses are not yet copyrighted so I will have to ask for clearance. I can see the Cutlass replacing my P bass. As a session player I have to bring different basses to a session. I hate when the producer wants me to play the P bass because mine plays like a log.The Cutlass has a Bongo neck profile and plays beautifully up and down the neck.

bdgotoh

Very cool that you got to try them out early! Does the Caprice neck feel like a Sterling neck?

djaxup

The bongo neck is the pinnacle of bass necks. This makes the Cutlass a very interesting bass to me.

five7

Record something that doesn't need clearance. We all would like to hear them. Thanks

MSilvers

Very cool, the Cutlass is super interesting to me as someone who has recently been into more "classic" types of basses. Really looking forward to getting to try one out this summer.

dmarotta

To my knowledge the Caprice has a Sterling neck profile and the Cutlass has a Bongo neck profile. In either case they play beautifully.

nhbassguitar

I'm not so sure about that neck comparison. This is what I have from my notes:

Bongo neck profile:
Number of frets: 24
Scale: 25.5" (64.8 cm) (Probably a typo since this seems to line up more with a guitar)
Radius: 11"
Width at nut: 1 5/8" (41.3 mm)
Width at last fret: 2 9/16" (65.1 mm)

Cutlass neck profile:
Number of frets: 21
Scale: 34" (86.4 cm)
Radius: 7"
Width at nut: 1 5/8" (41.3 mm)
Width at last fret: 2 15/32" (62.7 mm)

(The "width at last fret" specs probably can't be directly compared since the Bongo has 24 frets and the Cutlass 21.)

Anyway, my guess is the difference in radius is going to make these basses feel at least somewhat dissimilar. It's not a huge difference, but it is non-trivial. I know some players who do fine on a 7 or 9 but really struggle with an 11 until they get accustomed. Not the other way around, IME: I know no players who are used to an 11 who can't immediately work a 7 or 9 with zero additional effort.

syciprider

Since we don't bend strings or do barre chords that much, the radius isn't really a biggie IMO. I used to bounce back and forth between a Classic SR and a regular SR. I have a Carvin that's 14" radius and I switch between that and my EBMMs with no issues.

Golem

I never notice that stuff. I sukk equally on any neck ...

OK, not eggs zacklee. Sometimes I notice different
necks, but I still sukk equally.

When I bought my first non-SR MM it was a Sterling
HS, the first HS I ever saw. I was so fascinated with
playing it in the shop that I only discovered it was a
Sterling when I read my receipt.

I spoze I oughta admire alluh youse who woulda felt
a shocking difference, whose touch is so finessed as
to distinctly notice such stuff.

Now, I do have ears, but hey it wasn't my own amp
and I was fascinated by the effect of the neck SC in
the mix. So, the sound DID immediately hit me as
"not your grandaddy's StingRay" but I didn't realize
equally immediately that it wasn't a StingRay at all,
"speed neck" not withstanding.

Last edited:

bradfordws

BP: Caprice 5? I need a good "PJ" 5 - dumping my Fender P5 - it's not for me - big body and big neck. I'd order a Caprice 5 now if were available. Or is it not in the game plan?

redwing69

Does anybody know if the pickups in the Caprice are able to be replaced? The J-style pickup looks slightly larger than a standard J style pickup. I am looking into getting one soon and I may love the sound right out of the box but I did want to ask this question "just in case".

Top Bottom