• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bforber

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to look this over.

I've had a Majesty 7 string for about a year and a half now. I've had it setup and its a wonderful guitar; however I notice that I have to adjust the truss rod pretty frequently, probably once every 1 to 2 weeks. The relief difference is substantial. I know I don't have my guitar stored in any crappy conditions that could affect it, (humidity, temp etc.) so I'm just wondering not only if other people have experienced this problem as well, but also what can be done about it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Razzle

Not Majestys, but my other EBMMs, I adjust some of them almost every time I play them.

ksandvik

Here in northern California recently with rain, no rain, wind, rain, warm, wind, rain... it's been interesting to see how the necks constantly have changed.

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
of course I am not an expert, but I would "blame" the mahogany neck.
I've read that mahogany compared to maple is about 1/2 as strong and stable and I would have to agree based on my experience so far.
I received my Majesty around 6 weeks ago and I've noticed the same thing you mention even I keep the humidity pretty constant around 45-50 % in that room.
My other JPs with maple neck never had this problem I usually adjusted the truss rod on them around 2-3 times per year.
same for the JP7 that I still own now - I adjust the truss rod in the winter and then when the spring comes.
on Majesty I see changes from from one day to the next, regarding the neck relief
Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to look this over.

I've had a Majesty 7 string for about a year and a half now. I've had it setup and its a wonderful guitar; however I notice that I have to adjust the truss rod pretty frequently, probably once every 1 to 2 weeks. The relief difference is substantial. I know I don't have my guitar stored in any crappy conditions that could affect it, (humidity, temp etc.) so I'm just wondering not only if other people have experienced this problem as well, but also what can be done about it?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

mikeller

A few of my EBMM need frequent tweaks and some only require a season adjustment.

As PaoloGilberto said - the mahogany neck models seem to be less stable the maple - but it is so easy to adjust.

steevo

How do rosewood necks compare to maple then? Ive only ever made small tweaks to my EBMM'S over the years, some i havent had to adjust for years, my sub5 bass been one of them (which was sadly traded in the other day to make way for my silo special). Its to be expected with seasonal changes but id be a bit concerned if it was once every few weeks.

mikeller

I have to adjust my L3 with the rosewood neck several times a year - just seasonal. We have extreme's in Ohio - winters can be cold and dry, and summers are usually muggy.

tekwerk

Hey Guys,
I feel the need to chime in here on this topic. Making an adjustment on a guitars truss rod is no big deal. I would equate it to checking the air in your tires or oil in the engine... Sometimes you have to add a little oil or add/ subtract some air. It is general maintenance that needs to be done in order for you guitar to play it's best. I sometimes have to do truss rod adjustments several times a day depending on the venue and weather. Adjust and play.

steevo

Hey Guys,
I feel the need to chime in here on this topic. Making an adjustment on a guitars truss rod is no big deal. I would equate it to checking the air in your tires or oil in the engine... Sometimes you have to add a little oil or add/ subtract some air. It is general maintenance that needs to be done in order for you guitar to play it's best. I sometimes have to do truss rod adjustments several times a day depending on the venue and weather. Adjust and play.
Several times a day? Ive played for over 20 years, always done my own set ups and repairs and ive never had the need to adjust a truss rod that much. You are right, it is no big deal but only if you know what youre doing. Why do you feel the need to adjust a truss rod that often?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Tim O'Sullivan

My ALHH Rosewood neck is the least stable of all the EBMM guitars I own, and being a stiffer wood takes longest to react to changes. The maple ones seem to react straight away. In the extremes of winter and summer, I tend to adjust almost before every show.

AgustinJP50

I still find it amazing that John Petrucci's tech drops by to share some knowledge in an ordinary thread such as this... This forum never ceases to amaze me! Good luck on this leg of the tour Maddi! (Also on the next ones of course!)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
You are right, it is no big deal but only if you know what youre doing. Why do you feel the need to adjust a truss rod that often?

The answer to this question is "back of a truck to large empty building to hot sweaty building, repeat multiple times per week for a few months at a stretch..."

I still find it amazing that John Petrucci's tech drops by to share some knowledge in an ordinary thread such as this... This forum never ceases to amaze me! Good luck on this leg of the tour Maddi! (Also on the next ones of course!)

:)

Top Bottom