• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

steevo

Ive owned my silhouette special for a week now and on looking at it in close detail ive noticed the fretboard appears to be cut from a different piece of wood and not like the maple necks where the top is took off and used for the fretboard.
Are they of a different construction type to the maple necks?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

steevo

I was just curious.
Obviously with such a dark wood its barely noticeable but i thought the same principal would apply as to with the maple necks.
The grain on mine goes in the opposite direction to the rest of the neck so thought it may be to add strength?
What a neck though, feels like no other ive played.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Flash Gordon

They don't use a separate piece of wood... They cut the top off to place the truss rod, then glue it back down. If you watch the tour of EBMM on YouTube... BP explains this.

Here's a link:

Johnny Alien

I believe that is exactly what he is talking about. Since the all maple necks are done that way, the expectation is that the all rosewood necks would be as well but they are not.

sanderhermans

I believe that is exactly what he is talking about. Since the all maple necks are done that way, the expectation is that the all rosewood necks would be as well but they are not.

Exactly. My best guess is that finding rosewood neck blanks, large enough to cut a complete neck out, arent as common. Finding large pieces of maple is not really a issue so the extra inch for the fretboard is no problem.

John C

Exactly. My best guess is that finding rosewood neck blanks, large enough to cut a complete neck out, arent as common. Finding large pieces of maple is not really a issue so the extra inch for the fretboard is no problem.

I was thinking that as well, plus they would have to have a stock of rosewood ready for use on maple necks, so they likely just used their pre-cut rosewood fingerboard stock on the all-rosewood necks instead of using the same method as the maple fingerboard necks.

PeteDuBaldo

I'm not answering for Big Poppa and I can't find a copy of the original announcement flyer from EBMM but iirc it said something along the lines of

"one-piece solid rosewood neck with separate rosewood fingerboard cap"

PeteDuBaldo

super google to the rescue

"one piece solid Indian Rosewood neck with separate rosewood cap"

It's just how they do it.

attachment.php

Rosewood.jpg

MJM

My rosewood neck bfr's (6 and 7) are my favorite sounding Petrucci's... love them! My green quilt bfr 7 string from that original run is by far my favorite 7 string... ;)

varjao

I like a rosewood fretboard but I don't like the looks of a rosewood neck.

Speaking on fretboards, why the choice of Indian rosewood? I always thought Brazilian Rosewood was "the" rosewood. I live in Brazil, we call Rosewood by the name Jacarandá down here. I have guitars made by some top notch custom shops from Sao Paulo (N Zaganin and Music Maker) that uses brazilian rosewood fretboards that are absolutely delicious to play. I can't speak for the Indian version, both my MM have ebony fretboards. The eye test just gives me the impression that the color is different, it's lighter. Suhr also uses Indian Rosewood.

Top Bottom