• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

blake100blake

Hello guys!

This is a general question to the some of you who own Stock Luke 2's or Luke 1's, and either have swapped the pups for EMG X series pickups, or own one of the BFR True Golds to Compare the X's to the stock EMG's. What do you guys think/prefer? Regular EMGs or EMG X's?

The reason I ask?
I am currently awaiting arrival of a bone-stock case queen of a 1994 Luke Model One in Pearl Blue (sexy as hell), and I'm debating whether or not I should leave in the EMGs or change them for the X's. I've never owned any Luke models, and my first MM guitar was an SM-Y2D Dark Lord, so I don't have a lot of experience with active pickups in general, I've always been more of a passive guy. That being said, should I drop a bit of extra cash on the EMG X series pups?
Let me know!

kimonostereo

My opinion: Leave that guitar alone! The stock pickups in the original Luke I are the best sounding of all EMG pickups and from what I've heard, you simply cannot get them anymore, especially the single coils.

Also, the newer EMG all have clips so you'd have to either cut them off or get connectors with flying leads to keep them stock.

blake100blake

My opinion: Leave that guitar alone! The stock pickups in the original Luke I are the best sounding of all EMG pickups and from what I've heard, you simply cannot get them anymore, especially the single coils.

Also, the newer EMG all have clips so you'd have to either cut them off or get connectors with flying leads to keep them stock.

Yea, I've heard that about the singles. Like I said, I don't have much experience with any EMG's or active pups in general. I'm really gonna have to see how I like it. I honestly will likely keep it original, since I'm a total Luke nut (and especially Los Lobotomys era) so it'll probably stay stock. Gives me an excuse to just save for a used True Gold BFR lol. kimonostereo you wouldn't sell yours would you?

ZeroFivefour

Yea, I've heard that about the singles. Like I said, I don't have much experience with any EMG's or active pups in general. I'm really gonna have to see how I like it. I honestly will likely keep it original, since I'm a total Luke nut (and especially Los Lobotomys era) so it'll probably stay stock. Gives me an excuse to just save for a used True Gold BFR lol. kimonostereo you wouldn't sell yours would you?

Take Kimonostereo's advice. Leave that guitar stock.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Tom

kimonostereo

Early on, I wanted to see if an EMG 89 would be close enough to the 85 because I wanted a split single in the bridge. Ended up putting the 85 back because it didn't sound as good. I also played with swapping in an EMG 81 because that was the first EMG I had when I was in highschool and loved it. Didn't love it in the Luke though LOL.

And, yes, I'm selling my True Gold Luke. PM if you are interested.

kbaim

Seek out Super Baked Potato Live. Luke from about 81 or 82 iirc

ksandvik

I chime in and agree, really no need to change the EMGs in a Luke II -- why change something that is so versatile and sounds good?

JasonT

I don't think you can get the single coil EMG-X pups (unless you pulled them out of a True Gold Luke). Personally, I liked the EMG-X pups in the TGL and wouldn't pull them out of there.

blake100blake

Early on, I wanted to see if an EMG 89 would be close enough to the 85 because I wanted a split single in the bridge. Ended up putting the 85 back because it didn't sound as good. I also played with swapping in an EMG 81 because that was the first EMG I had when I was in highschool and loved it. Didn't love it in the Luke though LOL.

And, yes, I'm selling my True Gold Luke. PM if you are interested.

Honestly man, I would if I didn't already have to finance the Luke 1 man, I'd be all over it...funny thing is that there's a few true golds for sale on Ebay coming from Japan that are all asking 3500 or more....

Axis-of-Evil

Blake I've owned both pickups, used on an 8 string. The real question is what type of sound are you looking for? What I noticed was that my regular EMG 808 was a lot more compressed and great for Metal. The 808X did have a more "open" sound and was good for Rock and Jazz. I liked the X better when I was doing instrumentals more like Joe Satch and Vai because of the lead sound it gave me. In the end though, I kept the regular EMG 808 because its an 8 string and really more geared to Metal. I didn't sell the X though and hopefully my guys here at Music Man are going to grant me an 8 string with fanned frets!!! Then I'll put the X in that guitar, as my "Lead" 8 string!!

Top Bottom