• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bassmothership

Hello... Really need some help here pls

I've just bought this totally new HS 6 bongo in Japan. I'm living in Indonesia.

I have 2 issues:

1# I'm having huge trouble trying to reach a minimum satisfactory intonation on the A and specially the B string.

The (12th fret) fretted note is so sharp no matter how I tweak the saddles. Making the string longer is supposed to change something but it doesn't fix anything at all. (What kind of "physics" is happening here?) I'm so confused...:confused: I even tried to shorten the strings as well just to see if something happens...

Ernie ball FAQ says this:

"Make sure that the strings are coming off of the saddle straight and not in an arch."

If I'm interpreting this sentence correctly, I can see that the B, E and A strings show indeed an arch where it rests on the saddle. Is that the reason for such a horrible intonation?

If that so, how can I make the strings coming off the saddle straight then?

2# Why the B string sounds so muddy from the 12th fret? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks.

steevo

How old are the strings? If they arent coming off the saddles flat then the string arent stretched properly. I always push down on each string at the saddle end just to stretch that part of the string. The b string especially will need it as it has the least tension.
It does sound like your bass isnt set up properly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

nhbassguitar

This is a real long shot, but it could also be a bowed neck, so you'll definitely want to check that.

Another thing might be string gauges. The strings you're having problems with might be the wrong gauge for their respective positions. I know you said the bass is new, but strange things can happen when an instrument travels from Point X to Point Y.

Third: Don't put too much pressure on the string when you're fretting it, and try not to pull it sideways, either. If you're coming from a bass guitar with low frets, this could be part of the problem.

nhbassguitar

Ah... just thought of something else. Make sure your pickups are far enough away from the strings. FWIW, I set mine much further away from the strings than spec.

bassmothership

steevo, nhbassguitar

The strings are new, I guess they are the 130 - 32 slinky stock strings.

I did all the suggested but nothing really changed so far.

For some reason only the A string cannot be intonated, it's always sharp. The others are relatively fine.

Cuz there's no reliable professional in this town (Jakarta) the only thing I can do is to wait and see if the bass adapts and try again.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

MrMusashi

whenever i experience intonation problems i check pickup height to make sure it isnt too close to the string.

too close and the pull from the magnet will affect the vibrations

it might also be the string itself. do you have a replacement (perhaps the old string that was on it) to try with?

hth

MrM

MrMusashi

i forgot to give the advice i should have given :)

give customer service a call.. i keep hearing good things about them ;)

details in my signature below

MrM

bassmothership

whenever i experience intonation problems i check pickup height to make sure it isnt too close to the string.

too close and the pull from the magnet will affect the vibrations

it might also be the string itself. do you have a replacement (perhaps the old string that was on it) to try with?

hth

MrM

Such late reply to ur post...

I put the pickups really low.
this bass just arrived at the store the day I bought it. No old strings just this new set put in the same day. Anyway, I'll contact them as u suggested.

Thanks for ur feedback.

Last edited:

Mjnigro

Hey, I have the 13th fret problem too with a 130 gauge b string on my bongo... any good feedback from eb??

Top Bottom