• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

katsumura78

Any official word on what these pickups are all about ? Different than the Illuminators ?!

Mariner-aaron

I've been wondering about this too lol. I still haven't tried the illuminators

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

katsumura78

Hey! Just got back from warped tour and I visited the EBMM booth. One of the guys there shot a text message to a sales guy back in Cali. The info he back was that these new sonic ecstasy pickups are a beefier Illuminator. They were voiced specifically for the JP16 because of its Basswood/Floyd Rose combo. So less top end and more lows is what I was told. Sounds like it'll be a badass pickup.

Drakester

Hey! Just got back from warped tour and I visited the EBMM booth. One of the guys there shot a text message to a sales guy back in Cali. The info he back was that these new sonic ecstasy pickups are a beefier Illuminator. They were voiced specifically for the JP16 because of its Basswood/Floyd Rose combo. So less top end and more lows is what I was told. Sounds like it'll be a badass pickup.

Thanks for the info!
Interesting, I'm looking forward to those pickups. I'd like to try them in the JP6.

Derek

New Updated Specs for JP 16 Sonic Ecstasy pickups

Dimarzio Sonic Ecstasy pickups have been specifically designed to John's exacting specification's emphasizing an increased mid and low-frequency response. Sonic Ecstasy pickups deliver more power, depth, and warmth.

DP269 Sonic Ecstasy neck HB 300(output) 4.5(treble) 7(mid) 6.5(bass) 13.8(DC RES)

DP270 Sonic Ecstasy bridge HB 420(output) 4 (treble) 8.5(mid) 7.0(bass) 15.3(DC Res)

DP721 Sonic Ecstasy 7 neck HB 260(output) 4.5 (treble) 7.5(mid) 7.0(bass) 14.12(DC Res)

DP722 Sonic Ecstasy 7 bridge HB 405(output) 4.5 (Treble) 7.5(mid) 7.0(bass) 13.84(DC RES)

SONIC ECSTASY NECK – DP269 US Pat. 4501185, 5908998
SONIC ECSTASY BRIDGE – DP270 US Pat. 5908998
SONIC ECSTASY 7 NECK – DP721 US Pat. 4501185, 5908998
SONIC ECSTASY 7 BRIDGE – DP722 US Pat. 5908998
All pickups listed have ceramic magnets

katsumura78

Drove over to Bass Central and played a JP16-7. Sound wise I don't think it's worlds apart from a Majesty. I played both back to back and there's slightly more low mid/bass in the 16. Cool guitar none the less.

smd24fan

Hi folks,

I noticed that the JP16 page has the DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasy pickups in the specs.
JP 16 | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

Is this a typo or something new/unannounced? :eek: ;)

I have heard something to the effect that they are retooled Illuminators that compensate for the extra brightness that comes with a Floyd Rose bridge. In other words, should sound very similar to the Illuminators. I just bought a JP16 from Pete Dubaldo and will have it Tuesday, looking forward to flying them off against each other.

jones4tone

Oooh, I'll be eager to see pics of your JP16! Haven't seen any other than the pics on EBMM site.

agt

Can these be purchased a la carte? I LOVE the Illuminators in my Majesties but would be eager to experiment with a version of the bridge pickup with a bit more midrange and bass in one of them.

They are not listed on Dimarzio's website leading me to speculate that they are only available on a JP16.

I hope that eventually they can be purchased separately.

PeteDuBaldo

Can these be purchased a la carte? I LOVE the Illuminators in my Majesties but would be eager to experiment with a version of the bridge pickup with a bit more midrange and bass in one of them.

They are not listed on Dimarzio's website leading me to speculate that they are only available on a JP16.

I hope that eventually they can be purchased separately.

At this point in time they are not available to order from DiMarzio. You never know, maybe they will eventually be released like the Crunch Lab/Liquifire/Illuminator series

agt

The Sonic Ecstasy pickups are now listed on DiMarzio's site and listed for sale at some retailers. They seem to be F-spaced only and only available with the custom covers, i.e. not with exposed coils as they appear on the Majesty Monarchy.

Has anyone tried them yet?

Two questions:

I am potentially interested in trying a set on one of my JP models or Majesties.

(1) Based on the routing on the newer JP designs, it looks like a pickup with a cover will not fit. The routes are "rounded" at the corners and do not look like they would accommodate the right angle corners of a pickup cover. Can anyone with experience comment or confirm?

(2) My understanding is that the JP models use F-spacing on the bridge pickups but regular spacing on the neck pickups. When the Sonic Ecstasy pickups are described as "F-spaced only", is it understood that this applies only to the bridge model or are both bridge and neck pickups f-spaced? If the latter, would that be a problem?

PeteDuBaldo

1) That is most likely correct, the new Sonic Ecstasy pickups are rectangular and will not fit in a cavity that is been routed to a smaller size in the corners.

2) Both the Sonic Ecstasy bridge and neck pickup are labeled as F-Spaced. This means that the pole pieces on the neck pickup will be spaced apart the same as on the bridge pickup. If I had to guess, this was done so the same cover can be used on the bridge or neck pickup by rotating it 180* (heck, the entire pickup could even be the same, just rotated/wired differently)

Top Bottom