• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mmbassplayer

Mr. Martin,
I recently returned home from a six month deployment onboard a United States Navy submarine. While I usually choose not to talk about my job on this forum, I feel this is an appropriate time to do so. This trip I decided to take my daughter's SBMM Sub SB14 with me as a way to keep my (limited) "chops" while not risking damage to one of my prized Bongo's. Plus, the thought of six months without playing was more frightening than any potential damage.
A quick submarine lesson... The atmosphere onboard is very strictly controlled for both temperature and humidity, but changes do come very quickly when we ventilate (let in the outside air) or surface. The first place new air arrives is the fan room, which sees these changes before any type of climate control equipment can work its magic. These past six months this room has experienced temperatures ranging from 0 to 95 degrees as we traveled well north of the Arctic Circle and quite a ways south of the Equator. This also makes the fan room the official worst place ever to store an instrument. Unfortunately for me, it was also the only place big enough (yes, room onboard is tight). Planning for the worst, I feared this instrument would return home with a warped or at least seriously bowed neck due to the drastic changes it saw (I also feared my daughter would want something more expensive bass when I broke hers). I am happy to report your instrument performed immaculately. In the last 6 months, I only made one minor adjustment to the truss rod. My SBMM still plays like an instrument four to five times what I paid and didn't suffer so much as a ding having been banged around on by many (I mean a lot) of non-instrument friendly sailors. If there was ever a question towards the durability of your products, I can confirm first hand your instruments are nearly indestructible. Your products are expertly manufactured and the quality is on par with there American made counterparts. I currently own two SBMM models (I also own a Stealth JP50) and will be adding a third when decide between a Stingray and a Majesty guitar. Bravo Zulu as we say in the Navy!
Chief Electronics Technician Joshua Johnson
(mmbassplayer)

Eilif

I think you made somebody's day over at SBMM.

And thank you for your service!

By the way, did you have some kind of amp on board as well?

SBMM

Just. Wow...

First off. Thank you for your service, sir! That's far more important than anything we do here, but if we can bring a little bit of 'home' to you when you're abroad through our instruments, then we've done our job.

Your letter has truly brought a smile to our staffs' face. Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to share them.

You sir, are the rock star here!

Again, my staff and I thank you for your service and your support of Sterling By Music Man!

mmbassplayer

Thanks Koog... We are having a BBQ at the house Saturday, Jeremy is coming by with his Neck-Through Stingray, you should stop by. Have a 13lb brisket going on the smoker at 4am. JOSH

Bass Control

Thanks Koog... We are having a BBQ at the house Saturday, Jeremy is coming by with his Neck-Through Stingray, you should stop by. Have a 13lb brisket going on the smoker at 4am. JOSH

All these years and I still haven't met Koogs. Can't wait to try that new PDN Bongo, either! I'm loving the neck-through Stingray. More on-point, I remember playing Josh's SBMM SUB (I think it was a SUB) a few years ago and being impressed with the quality and the tone. I've been considering getting a SBMM fretless for some church gigs once I get on more solid footing financially.

Can't wait for tomorrow, Josh!

nurnay

Wow, that's really cool. I was stationed in the Bay Area while in the Air Force back in 90-92. Our base didn't have barracks, so I lived at Moffett Field. Met lots of Navy guys as a result. My first band was me and 3 Navy guys. They weren't a submarine base, but I would have never imagined with the tight space on subs being allowed to bring a bass! That's really cool and must have really helped with being in such tight quarters for such a long time. I salute you, my friend!

Kitsapbass

mmbassplayer, if you ever find yourself at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, let me know. Been here for almost 16 years, and it's always a pleasure meeting a fellow EBMM-head!

mmbassplayer

Kitsapbass... Never made it out your way for anything work related in 14 years, but I will let you know if I ever do. I am with you as it is always a pleasure to meet guys on the forum. If anyone is in the Norfolk, VA area this is an open invitation to come to my place and jam and eat. I'm no Big Poppa on a smoker but do pretty well. JOSH (koogs, where are you?)

mmbassplayer

Brian... I am happy you still enjoy this post. I did enjoy your active participation on this forum and hope you stick around. Hope things are working out for you in your future endeavors. JOSH

Top Bottom