• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

vic_loher

Got the JP15 yesterday and still am in awe of the quality and sound. I love, love, love it!! One thing that I would change if I could is the position of the pickup switch. I find it to be in the way when I am picking or strumming unless I pick higher or lower on the guitar that I normally would. Has anybody else found this? Just curious.

Thanks.
Vic

vic_loher

Jp15

They do exist, but can be hard to get your hands on one. Here is a pic of mine before it was sent out by Sweetwater.

pic.jpg

vic_loher

I notice that the Majesty and most /all of the JP models have the pickup selector switch in a similar position. Any thoughts from any one.

Thanks.

Lou

The controls are set up the same across all models of the JP line. They match the natural arc of JP's arm as it bends from the elbow so one does not need to change arm positions to reach any of the controls. Smart design. The only one I sometimes bump is the JPX as that model has a 5 way and is a little closer to your hand when in the neck position.

PaoloGilberto

Romania ...that's a country ...in Europe :))
I love the JP especially for the switch positioning (and neck, sound, ergonomics etc :)) )
if you never switch the pick ups or don't do it fast then you don't need it there, but otherwise the positioning is perfect
that switch it is one of the reasons I did not buy other guitar brand in the last 6 years , besides JPs :D

vic_loher

Lou and Paolo, thanks for the responses. Paola, I only play at home for my own pleasure and don't have a need to quickly change the pickups, but I can certainly see how the position would be advantageous for someone who does. Guess, I will just have to get used to it. Didn't know if others may have found it in the way and have changed the switch out for another lower profile switch.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Vic

I've heard this complaint before so you're definitely not the only one, for me though is in the perfect position, right in there for fast switching (which i do a lot) but not in the way of my picking.

ohbugger

Like anything, it's down to personal preference. Some people will find it is in the right place, others will wish it were not in their strumming path. But it may help discipline some players to control their hand movement a bit more (which could be a positive way of looking at it)! :)

Last edited:

Kinjin

There's no reason to leave it as-is, if it is hampering your playstyle! There's a quick way to mod that pickup switch:

963335_stock-photo-old-rusty-pliers-on-a-plain-white-background.jpg

vic_loher

The original reason for my post was to see what others thought about the placement, although I realize that it's personal preference. And secondly, to see if anyone had made mods and, if so, what they had done. I am getting more used to it's placement, but would still be interested in any mods.

Thanks.
Vic

jones4tone

It took me some time playing my JP15 to adapt to the selector switch. I had to slightly alter my "natural" (habitual) right hand position on the guitar to avoid inadvertent pickup changes. The guitar feels very natural to me today, though.

Dead-Eye

It took me some time playing my JP15 to adapt to the selector switch. I had to slightly alter my "natural" (habitual) right hand position on the guitar to avoid inadvertent pickup changes. The guitar feels very natural to me today, though.

Same for me (well, not with a JP15, but it's the same on the JP6). Basically I had to be more conscious of avoiding an exaggerated arc after strumming. Which is probably a good thing in the end because it's less of a wasteful movement.

jones4tone

Basically I had to be more conscious of avoiding an exaggerated arc after strumming. Which is probably a good thing in the end because it's less of a wasteful movement.

Exactly. My history playing only acoustic taught me that the way to get more volume was to play with more force, which led to a longer arc. Part of adapting to having that volume knob was to shorten the arc. Still adjusting to that.

vic_loher

Thanks for the responses. The guitar is so nice that I hate to think about modding it. So, I will try and get used to it.

Neilinski

i have the same problem but I end up switching from neck position to bridge position when I bang into it. I ended up loosening the switches nut and turning the switch so it won't switch positions unless I do it from a different direction.

tonechaser1

When I bought my first JP model, a JP12 I believe, it really bothered me and I even thought about returning it for that reason alone. But, I adjusted my strumming technique to be more economical and got used to it quite fast. It doesn't bother me at all now on my JP7 and my Majesty has low profile switches so it's not an issue at all. I believe that it actually helped me improve my picking and strumming technique. LOL!

JP's are absolutely awesome guitars, especially the 15's - enjoy yours OP!

vic_loher

I tried about 2 months to adjust and just couldn't do it. Truly loved the guitar...looks, sound, everything except the switch. I ended up returning mine. Sweetwater was great about taking it back.

Mariner-aaron

They do exist, but can be hard to get your hands on one. Here is a pic of mine before it was sent out by Sweetwater.

View attachment 30405

I got mine in and found a surprise inside smh damn knob wants even attached to the guitar.

4ce35f8a6172d672889c9d90a4750b26.jpg

697aea6eb39056b8befabc09a6955931.jpg

d668ddb6b8e861def8141f6fa49ba4f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom