• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Burgs

Brett Kingman at your service. Youtube obsessive, old session hack, Aussie touring gun. Now an EBMM permanent flag bearer and very proud of it too. You will see me stick my inquisitive head in here from time to time and maybe I can help some of you with some stuff too. One question I have right off the bat, however: How the hell do I remove the protective saddle plate from a Cutlass vintage trem to adjust the intonation? Or have I missed something? It doesn't necessarily need it at the moment, but if it does..?

Cheers, B.

xjbebop

Welcome Brett!!!
I've been watching and enjoying your video reviews for a few years now, and you always do a great job!
I saw this one (above) when I got home last night and was going to post / share it here.
All of the EBMM instruments are top notch... they are addictive.

Magic Jason

Great to welcome you. I've watched so many of your videos!

MM and Fractal are such a great match!

You'll LOVE the AL model!!!!

Last edited:

mikeller

Welcome Brett - like the others I have watched your many of your videos!!!

As far as adjusting intonation - it is done by inserting a hex tool in the openings on the backside of the bridge plate. I can't remember off had what the exact size is however.

Cheers!!! Enjoy the Cutlass

kestrou

Well... you're *really* one of us when you see a guitar without a 4+2 headstock and you think THAT guitar looks funny. :)

Welcome aboard!!!

Kevin

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome to the forum family, Brett!

As far as adjusting intonation - it is done by inserting a hex tool in the openings on the backside of the bridge plate. I can't remember off had what the exact size is however.

If it's the same size as the Majesty intonation screws, it's 5/64" allen key. Yes, annoying that's an imperial size and not metric, but if it helps, it's the same size as the little allen screws on chrome/black dome knobs for volume/tone controls. 2 mm allen key is only half a hair bigger and may work too.

Oh, and for future reference, here are the MM instrument tool sizes...

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-b...l-music-faq-volume-pedal-info.html#post920311

Last edited:

Norrin Radd

Welcome to the forum, Brett!

I've been a subscriber on your YouTube channel for a long time now. Glad to see you've come around to finding how wonderful Music Man guitars are!

Burgs

Thank you all for the kind welcome, advice and unexpected support for my little labour-of-love Youtube channel. I think I'm going to like it here a lot.

Could I impose with one more question, please? The guitar shipped with a 'Regular Slinky' hangtag on the machines which are 10-46, right? Yet the specs on the Cutlass website page states M-Steel Hybrid Slinky #2922. Could someone from EBMM clarify, please? I'd like to maintain the gauge that the guitar was set up for. Thanks.

Norrin Radd

Could I impose with one more question, please? The guitar shipped with a 'Regular Slinky' hangtag on the machines which are 10-46, right? Yet the specs on the Cutlass website page states M-Steel Hybrid Slinky #2922. Could someone from EBMM clarify, please? I'd like to maintain the gauge that the guitar was set up for. Thanks.

My guess, and this purely speculation, is that the website is likely correct. There's not many guitars leaving the factory (or at least there haven't been in the past) strung with hybrids of any kind, let alone M-steels. My guess is that the tag is just a pack in item/placeholder until some proper ones are made OR it just got in there by mistake. Still, if I were a betting man, I'd guess your Cutlass came with the hybrid M-Steels.

Not sure if anyone from EBMM will chime in before business hours on Monday, although those guys can (and DO) hang out here at all hours of the day on any day! This is a very well attended/maintained forum by admins.

Again, welcome aboard Brett! Happy to have you here. :)

Burgs

My guess, and this purely speculation, is that the website is likely correct. There's not many guitars leaving the factory (or at least there haven't been in the past) strung with hybrids of any kind, let alone M-steels. My guess is that the tag is just a pack in item/placeholder until some proper ones are made OR it just got in there by mistake. Still, if I were a betting man, I'd guess your Cutlass came with the hybrid M-Steels.

Not sure if anyone from EBMM will chime in before business hours on Monday, although those guys can (and DO) hang out here at all hours of the day on any day! This is a very well attended/maintained forum by admins.

Again, welcome aboard Brett! Happy to have you here. :)

Thanks, Greg. My suspicions are that you are completely correct and someone with your length of experience in all things EBMM would certainly know. I've registered the guitar and in doing so received the automated reply from Scott whom I've also asked. So we'll know for sure, perhaps in a day or so. Again, many thanks.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
My guess is that the website is incorrect. Certainly would not be the first time, and hybrid Slinkys would be an unusual choice on a stock regular production instrument.

And that Cutlass sounds gorgeous in your hands! I'm starting to get over my not-very-like of the body/pickguard shape. WOW!

Last edited:

Burgs

My guess is that the website is incorrect. Certainly would not be the first time, and hybrid Slinkys would be an unusual choice on a stock regular production instrument.

And that Cutlass sounds gorgeous in your hands! I'm starting to get over my not-very-like of the body/pickguard shape. WOW!

Thanks! It is a great guitar, for sure. Can't wait to supplement it with something with gruntier pickups like the ALHH (hoping, soon...!).

The website states that the Cutlass ships with the hybrid M-Steels. The guitar's hangtag was for Regular Slinkys, though. So I'm a little confused now. Ha! They feel like 9-46 which would be the hybrids, I guess.

Burgs

Here's another vid with the Cutlass. I'm guessing there's a proper place to post these. I'd better check that out because there will be dozens to follow. Have a great weekend everyone.

Magic Jason

Thanks! It is a great guitar, for sure. Can't wait to supplement it with something with gruntier pickups like the ALHH (hoping, soon...!).

The website states that the Cutlass ships with the hybrid M-Steels. The guitar's hangtag was for Regular Slinkys, though. So I'm a little confused now. Ha! They feel like 9-46 which would be the hybrids, I guess.

You can NOT imagine how much you'd love the ALHH!!!

Thanks for sharing the preset, I love it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom