• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BassTractor

EDIT:
An S.U.B. Ray5-BK/M is being sold as a Sterling Stingray (sic!) - with wrong headstock decals probably having been applied by (previous?) owner.

The neckplate reportedly states: sterling 8038536
Is that consistent with an S.U.B.? Or?

Thanks!

Last edited:

BassTractor

Post some pics, that will help.

Thanks, Brian.
I should probably have worded this differently.
You see, what one sees is really exactly just an S.U.B. Ray5-BK/M with wrong decals on the headstock. If I posted a pic, people would say that it's an S.U.B. Ray5-BK/M with wrong decals, which I already know. I don't wanna go there.

I'm only after confirmation whether the reported serial number is consistent with that - - the point being that one owner may have exchanged the neck plate as well as the decals, but as I said, I should probably have worded my OP differently.

The context is that this seller tries to sell this as a "Music Man Sterling Stingray custom". His "custom" in reality means someone changed the scratchplate and decals. He may be unaware or aware.
I want to report the ad to eBay, but the seller has worded in such a way that eBay might accept it if they are unaware of the exact implications.

I originally opted for the serial numbers thread, but that does not give details about the Sterling ones. I then tried the Sterling by Music Man website, but have not yet received a reply from them.

SBMM

Understood. I'd still like to see pictures to see exactly what is up with headstock/logos/etc.

If that first numeral is actually the letter "B", then it is indeed a SUB Series produced by us at Praxis.

SBMM

It appears to be a counterfeit. I've seen a similar one a few years ago that was on eBay in the EU and it was tagged appropriately as a fake.

Top Bottom