• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kestrou

I'm not a big fan of "matching headstocks", and considering refinishing a neck to remove the color (Sunset Purple) from Morse Y2D headstock.

Mostly interested in what's a good "stripper" for the finish as EBMM puts some tough stuff on their guitars!

Kevin

kimonostereo

Back in the early 90's when I had my first Silhouette with a finished neck, I tried to use paint stripper to remove the finish. Long story short: no matter what I did, the finish barely budged but it did soften after a long long wait. It was a hard mess to clean up and fix.

I had no idea that there was a difference between finish types as I've always been able to use paint stripper on other guitars. Learned years later that EBMM uses polyurethane. I've seen folks remove poly with a heat gun in videos. I've never tried it myself, but it should work. You'll still need to remove the stain from the maple (if there is any) as the heat gun will only remove the poly.

kestrou

Back in the early 90's when I had my first Silhouette with a finished neck, I tried to use paint stripper to remove the finish. Long story short: no matter what I did, the finish barely budged but it did soften after a long long wait. It was a hard mess to clean up and fix.

I had no idea that there was a difference between finish types as I've always been able to use paint stripper on other guitars. Learned years later that EBMM uses polyurethane. I've seen folks remove poly with a heat gun in videos. I've never tried it myself, but it should work. You'll still need to remove the stain from the maple (if there is any) as the heat gun will only remove the poly.

Polyurethane isn't *too* tough to strip - but I think EBMM use a polyester finish which is a MONSTER to strip...

Yeah, I have a heat gun - easy to scorch the wood with that too (says a guy who's scorched wood with a heat gun :) ).

Kevin

jones4tone

I'm not a big fan of "matching headstocks", and considering refinishing a neck to remove the color (Sunset Purple) from Morse Y2D headstock.

Might be easier to look for a Y2D with non-matching headstock? I say that fully realizing how much you'd hate to think about buying another guitar... :D

tommyindelaware

Googling "good stripper" should keep you entertained for a while :D
my man !!!!!!
i would use a hand scrapper. thats what i use on finished necks. because its a flat surface it will be a lot of work, but a hand scrapper like they use on furniture will provide excellent control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom