• MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Golem

Piezo is now discontinued. Think twice, and
maybe twice again, before you ever consider
letting go of that one. It will get increasingly
difficult to ever find another one. Piezo MM's
were never very common, and now no more
additional examples will be joining the pool.

bassmike

If all goes according to plan tomorrow, (edited) SR5 Piezo.

Last edited:

bassmike

No not at all. Apologies for the unintentional reference.
Just a disorganized young guy selling thru CL that had
put the sale item in a pawn shop and me thru the wringer
to finalize the sale. Which went thru yesterday, two days
before redemption. Thankfully. A very nice instrument at
1/3 normal retail.
Musicman Stingray5 Piezo 1-8-17 50.jpg

tbonesullivan

OH DAMN!!!! I've always been interested in the Piezo equipped basses. Many of the companies that offered them stopped, so they are hard to come by these days.

bassmike

OH DAMN!!!! I've always been interested in the Piezo equipped basses. Many of the companies that offered them stopped, so they are hard to come by these days.

Yes- it's like they've gone extinct. Retailers, bay, Reverb... Japan has 'em- at ridiculous prices.
In this case, initially was unaware that this SR5 had a Piezo. I was interested more in the SR5 Classic
body style since I have '76 and '88 Rays and thought the SR5 guard to be gaudy and heard the 3way's
tended to need maintenance. But a renegotiated price sealed the deal. Then I noticed the extra knob...
The Piezo adds a modern scoop tone (I suppose for slapping); compressor not withstanding.
Love the flatter radius (faster) neck which plays more like my Modulus and Smith. Not sure why they're
discontinued unless it wasn't cost effective. Don't know why Sterling discontinued the SBMM Ray35ca
either- it's a great bass too. Neither instrument has the "Holy Grail" tone I have in the vintage 2band 4's.
There is still Nordstrand, ummm... Emperor Joseph II: "Well...there it is."

Post Script. Contacted AJ @ CS and inquired availability of black oem Piezo bridge as it would improve look.
"Tie the room together". Sadly... no... no. Ordered a tort guard since might also become extinct...

Top Bottom