• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

scb45acp

what config would be used to get the jazz hollowbody sound of an es-335 neck pick-up?

coonie

Might be impossible to get a hollowbody Sound on a solidbody guitar (even if it was chambered). The wood of an hollowbody guitar has even more influence on the sound as it has on a solidbody guitar!
If you have a HSH Version, I would try 5p4, 5s4, 4p3 or 4s3, if you have a HH Version try 4p3, 4s3, 3p2 or 3s2, to come near to the sound of the pickup-sound (and gues, in Serial order try also the viceversa options, example 3s4 instead of 4s3, because it doesn't sound the same.
If you have the Piezo, try to mix it a bit with the humbucker, may bring you a bit accoustical Sound to come nearer to a hollowbody Sound.
But if you want exact an hollowbody-sound, I would recommend buying an hollowbody guitar.

mistercharlie

Valentine with the neck pickup in humbucker mode, with tone control on around half, does a passable impersonation.

You're right

Valentine with the neck pickup in humbucker mode, with tone control on around half, does a passable impersonation.

I have both an ES345 and an ES355 which are pretty much the same guitar as the ES335. They are actually a solid body in the center where the pickups are, and Gibson added some "ears" which (IMHO) don't really do anything except make it more comfortable to hold when sitting down, as compared to other form factor Gibson guitars.

When playing through really good noise isolating headphones, I notice the pickups are very slightly different between the two Gibsons, and when I use the Gamechanger setup as you say and mix in a little piezo, I can get exactly the same sound as both of the Gibsons. When I take off the headphones, the sounds are quite different. I believe it's because of the resonance added by the "ears" to the solid body of the Gibsons.

So if you're playing in your bedroom, the acoustics of the Gibsons won't be the same as the Gamechanger. If you're playing on stage, you will get exactly the same sound, just mix in a little piezo and adjust the tone. Like you say.

Top Bottom