• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jadaxis

I'm thinking of selling my Reflex to get a Majesty. Anyone have experience with both and can offer an opinion as to whether it's a wise swap?
Thanks,
J

jones4tone

Somebody get Kevin in here for his "Never Sell a Guitar" speech.

Seriously, I don't think anybody can really answer that for you. It's all about you, your current feelings about what music you're playing, what you want to play, how well the Reflex "fits" those things currently, and your belief that the Majesty will be a better fit.

If you're jonesing for a new sound, or feel, and you must choose one, there's no reason to force yourself to continue playing a guitar that isn't helping you get where you want to go right now.

Last edited:

mikeller

I have had both (well 25th and Majesty) but I can't answer that because its really your choice as to which might work better for you.

What I can say is to play the Majesty before deciding. They are quite different and both very good.

MikeVt

I'd strongly echo the 'play a Majesty first' sentiment. I have neither a Reflex nor a Majesty, but I do have a few different JPs and Lukes, and they are VERY different. Although they are both great, there are tones I can do with the Lukes that I can't touch with my JPs, some of them very vintage. I'm guessing the Majesty range of tones will be more limited than the Reflex, so if you enjoy that flexibility, you really should check out the Majesty in person before making the leap.

Mike

jones4tone

I'd strongly echo the 'play a Majesty first' sentiment. I have neither a Reflex nor a Majesty, but I do have a few different JPs and Lukes, and they are VERY different. Although they are both great, there are tones I can do with the Lukes that I can't touch with my JPs, some of them very vintage. I'm guessing the Majesty range of tones will be more limited than the Reflex, so if you enjoy that flexibility, you really should check out the Majesty in person before making the leap.

Mike

I agree with Mike, here. I bought my JP on something of a whim. I knew very little about electric guitars, and the genres they were aimed to serve. Today I know that the high-output pickups on the JP make it cumbersome for some styles, but I didn't figure that out until later. I was so caught up by the beauty of the wood and finish, and quality of the craftsmanship, that I jumped. Today, I probably wouldn't make that choice. Still a fantastic instrument, just not the best match for me. No regrets, though, as it got me on this fun journey.

I don't think there's a wrong choice. Just different paths.

kestrou

Which Kevin? We have at least three!

Yup, popular name - so how about ALL the Kevins twist his arm that there ain't no good reason to go selling a guitar - EVER!

I mean, once you've bought it... it really don't eat much sitting there - and when (not IF) you want to go back to it, there it'll be. :)

Don't be one of those guys wishing you hadn't gotten rid of a guitar...

Kevin

LesPaul

Agreed. I sold a 1981 silver burst lp custom back in 96. I regret it now but not for the reason you'd think. If I still had it today, I could probably sell it for close to enough to buy myself two more Majestys😆

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
OK. This Kevin's 2 cents worth...

If you're really not getting along with the Reflex, move it.

If you're just curious about the Majesty and selling the reflex would allow you to get a Majesty, test Majesty first. The Reflex is such a great guitar but is no longer in production and wasn't in production very long so there is not a huge used market for them. Seller's remorse could be tough to overcome.

jones4tone

Realizing now what my first response should have been: Tell me a little about this Reflex... :)

And, my apologies to any Kevin I offended. Unintentional.

Magic Jason

Ya know, jadaxis you really should consider an Albert Lee HH before settling on a Majesty :)

Your turn MagicJason :)

I really think you should stay away from any AL HH. It might become an expensive addiction ;) ;) ;)

Joke aside, these two are rather different axes and both are excellent. I trully believe no one can help you, in the end, it's up to YOUR personal preferences.

If you make the decision to go for the Majesty and regret it later on, you can aways sell the Majesty an "rebuy" an Axis. I believe most of us have already done these kind of things...

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

jadaxis

Thanks everyone. Yes, I understand what you are all saying. I currently have a Silo, Axis SS, and the Reflex. I used to own an Axis also, so I'm acquainted with the sellers remorse possibility! I know it's an endless search...I like all of them for different reasons. My real desire for others thoughts is because you can never really get the feel of a guitar just by playing it for a short time in a store. I have played the Majesty in a store...but it always takes me a few months of playing to really get the feel of the instrument and determine if it's really what I'm looking for. Although, I haven't played an AL yet.�� I like what the Reflex does, but the neck shape isn't my favorite. Also to me, the PUPs sound great for some things, but I put Liquifire and Crunch lab PUPs in my Silo and they sound nicer to my ears.
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.

Magic Jason

My quest has come to an end ;).

I just own a few AL's now and I' m much happier than when I had a dozen guitars from various companies.
I've recently tried my best friend's Majesty and it is a fantastic guitar but a very unique beast that won't please everyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom