• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jordan Sankar

Just picked up a new stingray classic 5 and I find my g string to slip off the fretboard

I've never had this issue on any of my other basses, does anyone know how I can address this issue

Bert

I never owned a fiver.
But heard often that the G String looks to be too close to the edge of the fretboard.
After an hour of playing your technic becomes accustomed.
Lets see what other SR5 users say.

Golem

It's like that. Very extremely high probability
that the bass is fully in spec. Neck sockets are
quite snug, bridges are accurately located ....
but maybe nut is not well glued and is slightly
shifted ? Other than that, it's just the way it is.

BIGEJ2

That's just how the Classic 5's are. I had the same problem and had to work on my technique to fix it. Then I bought a Bongo.

bradfordws

It IS the way it is. I've gotten used to it on my Sterling 5H's - yep - same deal on the Sterling 5's. IMO, with the heel of the neck being 2.75" the string spacing should actually be a tad more narrow. Off topic, I have a pre-Gibson Tobias Killer B5 and the neck is about 2-7/8" at the heel and the spacing is not 19mm - maybe 17mm - anyway, the point is that the G string does not pull off the board. There have been discussions about MM producing a wider Stingray 5 with 19mm spacing, but that didn't happen. I believe that would require a neck dimension of 3" at the heel. The problem of the G string being too close to the edge could be solved by a neck heel width of 2-7/8" IMO.

The only solution I can think of (which I have not tried yet) would be to have a new nut cut with a more narrow spacing bringing that G string in just a hair - might make a difference. If the saddles were adjustable, that would be an easy adjustment. The Hipshot style A bridge has that side to side adjustment, but I'm not sure if that would be a good replacement bridge on a MM.

Mu5icM@n

The MM 5-ers all seem to be this way, where the G string is a little closer to the edge of the fretboard than most basses are. Mine are certainly this way--but I find that paying a little closer attention to my technique makes it a non-issue.

Tom

steevo

The MM 5-ers all seem to be this way, where the G string is a little closer to the edge of the fretboard than most basses are. Mine are certainly this way--but I find that paying a little closer attention to my technique makes it a non-issue.

Tom
Ive never had an issue with my 5's. Also played a lot in stores and never seen one with bad string alignment.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Mu5icM@n

I think even EBMM's own pictures bear this out--check out the difference between the Classic Stingray and the Classic Stingray 5. You can see the G string is closer to the edge of the neck on the 5. Many players never notice, but if your technique isn't quite perfect you can pull the G off the edge of the fretboard easier on a 5.

BTW this isn't a flaw, it's just the way the basses are designed.

instrument-51.jpg instrument-50.jpg

lpdeluxe

I bought my SR5 from the original owner. He did not like the G string problem so a new nut was cut that moved the string inward a tiny amount. It feels very natural, with no issues...but of course I don't play much on the G.

guitar53

I have a Stingray 4HH neck-thru with the same problem. As far as I can tell, the Bridge mounting is off, so that all 4 strings are positioned about 1/8 or 1/16 in towards the treble side. The height adjustment screws offer little help as there is no room between the saddles to tilt the saddles toward the bass side. Without re-positioning the bridge the only solution I can think of is to get new saddles cut to correct the angle off the bridge. (the nut is perfectly in line.

danny-79

I’ve only got 4’s and their all the same, it’s just part of it. The G string is pretty temperamental in its position with the edge of the fretboard and path over the pickup.
None of it is a problem just something to be mindful of

mouth

I’ve only got 4’s and their all the same, it’s just part of it. The G string is pretty temperamental in its position with the edge of the fretboard and path over the pickup.
None of it is a problem just something to be mindful of

If you're having that issue on Stingray 4s, then something is off with your string-neck alignment. There is absolutely no issue with the 4s' G string slipping off. Never had that issue with any Stingray (always 4-stringers) that I owned, nor with the 2 that I currently own.

I played a fiver live once, and it was doable, I think I did slip the G once or twice, but technique control and getting used to it would work. Luckily, 5-string basses aren't for me anyways. If I would add a fiver, it would definitely be a Stingray though, tight string spacing and G slipping off be damned.

I will also add, if the string-over-neck alignment is slightly off (be it because of the bridge or the nut or the neck seating in the pocket) - it will definitely affect the fivers more than the fours due to their strings being so closer to the edge of the fretboard.

Another thing - Classic has a fretboard with 7.5" radius which is rounder than the standard fivers' 11". That could also contribute to G string slipping easier off the neck.

danny-79

If you're having that issue on Stingray 4s, then something is off with your string-neck alignment. There is absolutely no issue with the 4s' G string slipping off. Never had that issue with any Stingray (always 4-stringers) that I owned, nor with the 2 that I currently own.

I played a fiver live once, and it was doable, I think I did slip the G once or twice, but technique control and getting used to it would work. Luckily, 5-string basses aren't for me anyways. If I would add a fiver, it would definitely be a Stingray though, tight string spacing and G slipping off be damned.

I will also add, if the string-over-neck alignment is slightly off (be it because of the bridge or the nut or the neck seating in the pocket) - it will definitely affect the fivers more than the fours due to their strings being so closer to the edge of the fretboard.

Another thing - Classic has a fretboard with 7.5" radius which is rounder than the standard fivers' 11". That could also contribute to G string slipping easier off the neck.

Necks are all good. StingRay’s are just an easy bass to pull the G off, not that it ever really happens, bad technique is the main culprit

mouth

Necks are all good. StingRay’s are just an easy bass to pull the G off, not that it ever really happens, bad technique is the main culprit

I agree that about the Stingray fivers. Why four stringers though? Shouldn't be easier than pulling it off a Fender P bass (4-string). String spacing is about the same, neck width close to a B style neck.

danny-79

I agree that about the Stingray fivers. Why four stringers though? Shouldn't be easier than pulling it off a Fender P bass (4-string). String spacing is about the same, neck width close to a B style neck.

Honestly don’t know. On the occasion that I’ve pulled the G off it’s always been on a SR4. Bad technique on my part is best answer. Just never had it happen on anything else. But at the same time it’s been a while since I played anything other than a SR4

Top Bottom