• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

steevo

Bought a set of cobalt 9 hybrids last week, put them on the other night ready for a gig on saturday but the top E kept slipping. Got up this morning and it had slipped again, tried tuning it and bang. Just looked at it and it appears it has come unwound at the ball end. A bit annoyed that its let go without even been played.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Karl

I have read numerous reports on the internet about the cobalt flatwounds breaking whilst tuning and also just resting. Reports suggest the breaks that have been mainly on the G and D strings though some have had the A string breaking. I wouldn't mind trying the Cobalts but all of the string faults put me off . I would have thought that someone from EB would have replied to your thread starter as it is a serious issue or is it that they just don't have an answer.

Karl

Update......Ignoring the reviews I reluctantly decided to try the Flatwound Cobalts on my Stingray 4H and I am happy to say that everything is spot on and they sound great, even better than the Chromes which I also tried on my Stingray. The only thing that I did find was that when I put the Cobalts back on after taking them off to try the Chromes the G and D strings did slip when tuning up but I get around this by routing back through peg slot......Happy Days!

flyingvluvr

Bought a set of cobalt 9 hybrids last week, put them on the other night ready for a gig on saturday but the top E kept slipping. Got up this morning and it had slipped again, tried tuning it and bang. Just looked at it and it appears it has come unwound at the ball end. A bit annoyed that its let go without even been played.

The same thing happened to me with a couple of high E Cobalts, the end started de-tuning and unraveling. Luckily, I had a couple of spare D'Addario 9s to replace them with. Otherwise I love Ernie Ball Cobalts, they're my favorite strings.

flyingvluvr

I'm now using the M-Steels, I like them even better than the Cobalts. Great tone and feel. I'm hoping that the reinforced steel wrap wire on the ball ends hold up.

steevo

EBMM very kindly replaced the two sets that i had issues with. Had no problems since, i love the cobalts so will stick with them unless further problems occur. I like the m steels but i wanted a hybrid set of 9's which i could only get with the cobalts. Cant wait for the paradigms to come out in the uk.

Top Bottom