• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Edmang

Sounds interesting. Definitely will have to check it out. Never had a shorter scale bass, but who knows, this might be my first.

Thanks for posting the info.

steevo

Havent seen a medium scale bass since the stu hamm urge bass of the late 90's. Cant wait to see this.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

AndyRage

I want one so bad... Literally have been waiting on this since the release of her signature model. Was just telling a buddy I wish they would release a St.Vincent bass, now I'm just going to be hoping they do a long scale.

bassmonkeee

That's crazy. I literally posted on BP's page yesterday that I'd love a Valentine short scale bass. A St Vincent could be cool.

agt

I would say that the news of a shorter scale Music Man has made my day, but this has made my decade!!!

I'm so already there. Can't wait ...

OldManMusic

This could be really fun! I've really liked the body styling of the St Vincent guitar... Let's see what they come up with for us bass guys.

muggsy

Hm. So the Big Al did not work - why then should a ST Vincent bass work better?

Actually, the Big Al worked great. I owned a single H and still own an SSS model, they're awesome. It just didn't sell enough. If the St. Vincent guitars are selling well, maybe a bass version will too.

St_G

My only current bass is a 32" Gretsch. It's a cool scale length.

jones4tone

So educate me on the advantages of having a short scale bass?

I don't know of an advantage for you (though someone might correct me). For me, as a guitar player, it's an easier transition for me to my short scale (30") bass than it would be to a 34" bass. But I don't know that they're better in any other sense?

Movielife

I think it's more of a 'different flavour' of bass, in terms of feel and tone. It will probably reduce the weight, make it very 'quick' to play, and provide a different tone...although subtle.

My partner has an SG bass (sorry to mention) and she would love the St Vincent as a bass I think.

steevo

Theyre easier for kids and people with small hands. That was fenders sales pitch when they bought out the mustang bass.
Cant wait to see this though, hopefully itll be a medium scale, small scale basses are known for having a poor E string.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

St_G

"Advantages" is perhaps a loaded term, but there are, generally, some differences.

Start by thinking about the differences between a 34" scale bass and a 35" scale bass. Now go the other direction. Do that twice for a medium scale (~32") bass, and 4 for a short (usuall 30-30.5", but there are a few even shorter).

So: shorter reach (which for some people means cramped fingerboard), less string tension at a given pitch, typically fatter, flabbier, woofier sound (though electronics are gonna muddy those waters...or UNmuddy them, I suppose...)

Overall, despite sitting right in the middle, I find my 32" scale bass to FEEL closer to a 34" than a 30". Can't explain it, but it just doesn't feel like a huge difference, whereas going to a Short Scale is always more noticeable. That said, flats on a 30" is one the the half a dozen sounds that I consider to be Top Tier go-to bass noises. Whatever it is that people mean when they talk about "piano tone," flats on a short scale is the polar opposite.

jones4tone

Interesting comments, St_G. I don't have the chops on bass to lose anything with a 30" scale - not going to play anything on bass today that's deserving of a "feature" spot in a mix, anyway, but I don't doubt that it would limit what a skilled player could get out of the instrument.

St_G

Oh, 30" basses are just fine for being featured up front and loud. Just ask Jack Bruce. They're really not inherently limited/limiting, despite the "y'know, for kids!" sales approach that many of them have adopted. They're just good at different stuff.

32s are a good middle-ground and, depending on how the pickups (and preamp?) are voiced, this St. V bass could be super, SUPER cool.

Top Bottom