• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

KevTN

I picked up a 2003 JP6 that has been a case queen. I was worried about the neck size but after noodeling around with it I am not completely sold on the pickups. After working in the amps EQ things are coming along. I called MM today and they said it is loaded with D-Sonic and Steve Specials. The previous owner put double sided tape under the pickups to raise them up. I am thinking of putting the tape back to see if it helps the tone. I have never removed pickups before but looks like you just unscrew the two screws...
I am thinking in the future of changing to LF/CL or maybe the Illuminators....Feedback?
(What size pictures can be uploaded? It keeps saying upload failed)

johnnyboogie

It is highly unlikely that the guitar wears D-Sonic and Steve's Special as these two humbuckers are bridge hum buckers.

They most likely are Steve's Special (bridge) and Air Norton (neck).

Check the DiMarzio website for specs on each humbucker. Check for DC Resistance (the lower, the 'brighter' or 'screamier' the pickup), EQ (bass, treb, mid), output in mVolts (the lower, the less gain the pickup offers), and the material of the magnet the pickup uses (alnico 2, alnico 5, ceramic). Alnico stands for aluminum, nickel, cobalt. You'll need to check the tonal characteristics of each alloy yourself in order to figure out which sonic approach you fancy the most.

PS. The D-Sonic has the metal bar across one of the coils, just like the Crunch Lab humbucker. You can also check the back side of the pickup for its code. It should be in the form of DP???, DiMarzio Pickup and its number.

Last edited:

KevTN

Thanks no metal bar on the pickup looks like two regular humbuckers...not sure if it matter but 3/13/2003 is the born date

johnnyboogie

Year of introduction for the Crunch Lab/Liquifire set is 2009 so they must some other set. Easiest way to know is to check underneath the pickups for the DP??? code and then refer to Dimarzio's web page.

JP's EBMM JP6 and JP7 came out during 2000-2001, 8 years before the CL/LF set. So, it is an interesting question what pickups was the guitar equipped with back then.

KevTN

Due to work it will be later in the week before I can pull them..

Here are a few pics..

IMG_20170127_220559-756x1008.jpg IMG_20170127_220647-756x1008.jpg

johnnyboogie

Pearl Redburst huh? That was my first EBMM ever.

Looks very very pretty =)

Enjoy!!

PS. Would certainly want to know the code of the pickups once you check them out.

Markx

I am thinking in the future of changing to LF/CL or maybe the Illuminators....Feedback?

I have a 2007 JP6 with the factory D-Sonic bridge pickup the original custom-wound neck pickup. My 2015 JP6 with CL/LF sounds substantially better. I haven't heard the Illuminators in a JP6 but they're great in the JP13/15/Majesty.

beej

Congrats! Great looking guitar.

Pickup choice is very subjective. Depending on your style, the kind of amp you use, etc, you might want them more or less bright, hot, etc. So I wouldn't just go based on reviews.

Fwiw, I didn't like the Dsonic pickup in my JP, so I emailed Dimarzio for advice, they suggested the Gravity Storm set. I was looking for more traditional rock sounds - more mids, less scooped. I ended up putting a set of Axis pickups in there and was quite happy.

KevTN

I think he means a DSonic - AND - the custom wound neck pickup.

Correct....I have gave myself sometime to see if my ears adjust from the L3 to the JP...But I am enjoying how this things plays and is very easy on my shoulder....

Slater

Correct....I have gave myself sometime to see if my ears adjust from the L3 to the JP...But I am enjoying how this things plays and is very easy on my shoulder....

If you want to stay in the L3 ballpark sound wise, you can always put a set of Transitions in there.

KevTN

This is true...I am trying not to be too hasty and play with my amp EQ and such and see if I can get it dialed it...One thing I have learned is every guitar has its voice...I just have to find it. If I can't....Transplant a new voice! Lol

Guitarshreda

If the pickups are original to the guitar, they are the Dimarzio custom pickups based off the Air Norton (neck) and Steve Special (bridge). They were custom voiced for the JP series. Around 2005/2006 they changed the bridge pickup to a D sonic. Then in 2007/2008 the Liquifire/Crunch Lab combo came out.

Top Bottom