• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wolle

Hi there
I'm new in this forum and I hope I get some help here - I sent 2 or 3 emails to the customer Service, but they don’t reply :-(
I have troubles wiring my Silo Special guitar with the silent circuit !!
My 5-way switch broke, so I had to change it. I didn't find the original one from MusicMan for bying in the Internet, so I had to change it to the Fender Superswitch. Of course I wrote down all the connections from the old Switch to change to the new one, but something went wrong – it doesn’t exactly sound like the old one. And I am not happy with the quality of the switch – it makes noise at changing and so on. I want to change it again to another switch. So I found the switches from Schaller. There is one that’s called Megaswitch E and another one Megaswitch S. But it is completely different than the superswitch.
So my question: when I use a quite normal connection from the pickups to the switch as shown here:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAzMFgxMjAw/z/a3gAAOSwezVWy2Bc/$_12.JPG?set_id=880000500F

how do I connect now the Silent circuit?
Please help me – I need to reconnect my Switch, I need the guitar. Every Hint for me is ok, maybe someone has rewired the guitar with another switch than the superswitch and can send me a diagram for rewire it.
Thx
Please send diagrams to [email protected]

wolle

silent circuit

Thank you very much - I'll try to connect with a megaswitch and it should work with this diagram

I forgot - does someone know how to exactly connect the silent circuit? What are the functions of the different colours of the circuit?
Black - ground
red - 9V Power
Blue ?
Violet ?
Yellow ?
How must i go on with these colours when I want a silent guitar?

beej

The wiring for the SC is in that diagram I sent you- it's the factory wiring.

But, in general, Red is +9V, and Black is ground (though it's wired so that plugging in a cable connects that ground and completes the circuit - otherwise you'd just drain the battery all the time).

Rather than wiring the pickups to ground, the idea is that you wire the pickups to the SC, which provides out-of-phase noise to cancel most of the offending hum. Blue is for regular wound coils, Violet is for the reverse-wound pickups (typically the middle). Yellow is generally used to short the Silent Circuit output.

In the Silhouette Special HSS config, you only need it on the neck position alone. Every other combination of coils on the selector switch is inherently noise-cancelling.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

thenizzle

Hi Beej - Can you send this diagram to me too, please? (NECRO BUMP). Do you also happen to have a color code "map" of how the wires used in the original (Dimarzio?) would relate to Seymour Duncan color?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Any idea what year your guitar is? They changed the switch in 2011. The pickup wiring is identical but the physical layout on the switch is slightly different.

Re: DiMarziuo vs SD, google "humbucker color codes".

EDIT: just saw your new thread. For a first generation silhouette special with the old silent circuit, I've never seen a schematic for that. Give customer service a call (yes, you can actually call and talk to them). See links in my signature.

thenizzle

HSS Special - Birth Day October 1995! But the pickups are not original and I have a super funky looking "silent circuit" gizmo in there.

Top Bottom