• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gfex

Hi everybody,

It is my first post...
I am an happy MM guitar player. Currently I own a Steve Morse first model, a Silhouette Special, a Van Halen, one JP6 first version and one JP7... I love them all...

Now I could have the chance to get a MM Silhouette 20th anniversary which I really like a lot.
The version I found has the maple neck (which I really like..) and the uncovered PAF PUs... Is this model exist? on line I only found the pictures and videos of the PAF covered version...

Just to be sure the deal I am going to do is good and not a model which has been modified..

Other question : in case I wanted the PU covers, where should I get them? is there a specific cover model?

thank you for helping me.

Bye

gfex

GWDavis28

Sounds like the 20th's had the pups swapped out, as they all came with covers. Not sure about replacing the covers, but you could contact customer service and see if they'll sell them or the pickups to you.

Pictures?????

Congrats, hope this helps, Glenn |B)

gfex

Thanks for The reply.
I still do not have the guitar with me. However the owner said that the pu covers are in the guitar case. Simply he said mm manufactured some models without the mounted covers which were delivered unfitted in the case....
By the way, do you think Euro1200 is a good deal for a silo 20th anniversary? He told he is practically new. Never been used in live gig, just in rehearsals...

Flash Gordon

$1200 euro is a good price for a good condition with minor wear. If it is near mint, that's a really good deal. I paid 1200 USD used for both of mine a couple years ago. Absolutely amazing instruments! Is yours a hardtail or trem version? Matching or non-matching headstock?

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Sounds like the 20th's had the pups swapped out, as they all came with covers.

Yes, I think they all came with covers too.

Ask the seller for the serial number of the guitar, and then post to our serial number thread and ask what pickups were in the guitar and if they were covered.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/3830-serial-production-date-guitar-754.html

Simply he said mm manufactured some models without the mounted covers which were delivered unfitted in the case....

I'm pretty sure this is untrue. But it is entirely possible a previous owner of the guitar may have removed the covers.

By the way, do you think Euro1200 is a good deal for a silo 20th anniversary? He told he is practically new. Never been used in live gig, just in rehearsals...

Yes, it's a very good price if the guitar is in very good condition. In fact the price is perhaps a little too low, I'm a little suspicious, bearing in mind the pickup story. Ask about the condition of the frets too.

dibart77

I bought my first Silo 20th brand new. It absolutely came with the chrome pickup covers installed on the pickups. If the seller is saying otherwise, he's lying or whoever he bought it from did something shady. EBMM never shipped a stock guitar with pickup covers loose in the case.

The pickups are DiMarzio Virtual PAFs -- neck is BHN96 and bridge is I think BHW97. I recently asked EBMM if they had any leftover for my second Silo 20th (the one with the floating Floyd mod, which the previous owner swapped the Dimarzios bridge for a Duncan) and they said they do not have the pickups in stock.

If you add the covers, make sure you ground them (usually by soldering to the pickup backplate).

gfex

0553a9725beb08442e8a7015e758d7cd.jpg
c22fe1f48eb5d936b1edb7c6ad1a494d.jpg
c363771d3e2c10c86a5ca8266c23d682.jpg
a091ff59c0dcd0f174cf9cd43530bc37.jpg

Hi everybody
Thanks for the messages and feedback..
Here are a few pictures of the guitar...fretsnare in good conditions...
What do you think?

jones4tone

She's a beauty! But those are definitely NOT the original pickups.

I believe Greg is correct. The pickups with the chrome covers removed would not look like those. The zebra covers look similar, but not identical, to my Axis SS Semi-Hollow's pickups.

That said, if you like the sound of it as is, all is well! The Virtual PAFs it had originally are great, though.

gfex

Thank you. How should the original pu look like uncovered? The seller said they are dimarzio paf....however i like the guitar....do you think of compulsiva worth the required amount?

paranoid70

First off, nice 20th. I absolutely love mine and will maintain that it is still the best Music Man guitar design.

About the pickups, like others here have said already I am fairly certain they are not original to the guitar. Remember, the guitar is over 10 years old, so some previous owner probably just swapped them out at some point.

Norrin Radd

First off, nice 20th. I absolutely love mine and will maintain that it is still the best Music Man guitar design.

Gah! Every time I read something like this I regret more and more all the time having gotten rid of my 20th. I think you are right – it is probably the best music man I ever owned, and I've owned a lot of them!

gfex

You are increasing mi gas....😜😜
By the way the seller said he is the only owner and purchased it 10 years ago....he assured he did not change the pu... i do not know what to say but i really like it and the price seems a good deal....

Rialas

It seems the link I posted, the owner may have changed his pickups. He's giving advice to someone here.

PeteDuBaldo

The 20th Anniversary Silhouette was offered with the following options:

-Hardtail or Tremolo
-Piezo option
-Natural or Matching painted headstock
-Maple or Rosewood fretboard
-Standard top or Premium Flame or Premium Quilt

All of the pickups on these originally came with nickel/chrome covers, and there were no push/pull pots from the factory.

Top Bottom