• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

stu42

Apparently I am out of the loop. I was just checking out the details of the Bongo on the new EBMM website (which looks great btw!) and I noticed that the only configurations available for the 5 or 6-string Bongo is HH or HS. :eek:

I recall the big announcement a while back - when it was announced that the Big Al was going away, there'd be fewer and some newer colours, etc - that there'd be no more Piezo Bongos but I don't recall reading that there'd be no more Bongo 5H or 6H. Is this true? Why only the Bongo 4H?

Speaking of piezo...is it available on any of the bass models? I don't see it in any of the configuration options.

Or...are there some hidden options that are only available through special order or something like that?

Edmang

No more 5H and 6H and no more piezo on any bass models.

Unfortunate in my opinion, but guess they didn't sell well enough for whatever reason. I am a big fan of the Piezo.

stu42

Thanks for the confirmation. Though that is a disappointment for me. And also a bit scary since, if either of my basses were stolen or damaged beyond repair I'd never be able to get a replacement other than trying to find one on the used market...which would be pretty hard to do. Though I suppose that's the case for all the other guys with Big Als and such too. Bummer.

classic

Yes, a very sad story....especially the 5H. I didn't realize that the H config would not be availiable in future (means now!).
Read no announcement about it, got no information...I' m not only disappointed , I' m also angry...

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
I've been a lurker, but now that I bought one I'll ask more questions. What is the argument for or against the 5 or 6H?

njhammer

It's a list of discontinued options. Accordingly, all Piezo Bongo, all Lefty Bongo, Bongo 5H and Bongo 6HS were no longer available to order as of October 31, 2015.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
It's kind of a myth. Some say between 100-200 and 500-800Hz the typical StingRay position is the sweat spot, some say the P or J has it. I like my '79 Ray more than the '79 sabre I had.
Thanks for flushing it out for me, I can't wait to listen for it next week :)

bovinehost

Administrator
I was having a conversation with a trusted dealer a few months back and mentioned that a friend of mine probably needed a Bongo 5H. Alas, these are no longer available.

These are sad times. At least I haz one or two to fondle.

bovinehost

Administrator
Well, "I" did and I even tried to get LaRue to buy in. I've loaned mine out - I even loaned yours out once!

Ah well, I try not to be one of those "I got mine" guys, but.....I got mine.

stu42

Hmmm....well, yeah, I'm pretty relieved I have mine as well but now it makes me look at them a bit differently - like...do I still feel comfortable leaving it overnight at the church gig? Yikes!! I mean...world wars have been started for the sake of this kind of unobtainium!!

All the guys who didn't buy them...well...guess you missed out. There were precious few on the used market before and now that market is going to shrivel to nothing.

The other thing is...where has the time gone? October 31 2015 was the deadline? Man...that seems like it was just 6 months ago.

Also.....Wem....just to clarify (if it wasn't clear already)...the Bongo H models have the pickup in the "sweet spot" - same as the bridge pickup position for all of the Stingrays, Sterlings - whereas, on the Bongo HH and HS models the bridge pickup is mounted closer to the bridge. So, bottom line is...the Bongo H sounds way different than the HH or HS and, IMO, there is no way to make a Bongo HH or HS sound like a Bongo H. They're just different and some people...like me (and Jack, and BP, obviously!!) really, really like the Bongo H.

Edmang

There is always the 4 string version. At least that is still available.

Top Bottom