• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

xjbebop

So, the Valentine is the only recent new model that has interested me, but not enough to drop the coin on one yet. When we saw the SBMM version at NAMM, with it's roasted maple neck and proper copy pups, and then the price...well, I was intrigued...:rolleyes:
I was showing it to Mrs. Bebop and she said "So did you order one yet?"
I said, "No....do you think I should?"
She said "Well....yeah..."
:D

I got a hold of Pete Dubaldo and placed my order before he even got out of LA....:)

It was delivered yesterday and I've only had a bit of time with it last night. I made a point this morning to get a few pics for y'all here.
I've not seen or played an MM version of this guitar, so I can't give that comparison. But I can share my initial impressions of this guitar. But first, a few pics...

32974134465_ab4dd780de_o.jpg

32593091820_7a8f11fc74_o.jpg

Many of us have been anxious for SBMM to update their website with the new models and specs....looks like we're still waiting....
I did speak with Brian from SBMM on the phone a week ago, and he was super friendly, helpful and excited about these new instruments.
Here's my take on this new model, and if I get something wrong, please share...

Certified American submerged swamp ash body, wedge shaped.
Roasted maple neck, plain straight grain.
Soft 'V' to 'C' neck carve.
SBMM hardware- bridge, locking tuners (Schaller copies??), SBMM pups built to MM specs
Fixed 12db push/push gain boost on volume pot.
No neck pup split - (I will be adding my own soon...that's a feature I want..)
Trans Buttermilk finish - although none of my photos captured it well, it's there...
Nice padded gig bag included.

OK, so... what a fabulous, versatile guitar! Extremely well balanced and comfortable! There really isn't much that this guitar can't cover well. The 'V' neck near the nut is softer than the LIII I had, and I'm liking it much better. (one of the few things I had a hard time with on the LIII)
It feels new and a bit stiff...fully expect it to wear in nicely with a few more hours of play time.Not sure how to describe it, but I can 'feel' the quality difference on this vs a proper EBMM model, BUT, this is a fabulous solid & light guitar. Definitely a 'gateway' instrument like so many people say.
I am going to change strings right away. After the first 15 min of playing, my finger tips were black.
We've seen this from most stock strings on eastern import guitars. Mrs. Bebop always likes to say that they make strings over there from "melted pennys..." :p

VERY happy and impressed with this instrument so far....

32974134225_a88b2e740f_o.jpg

32159423843_f62b53fd79_o.jpg

..and looky what else I found in the box...

32593091090_aba0c23169_o.jpg

THNX PETE....YOU RAWK!!

Last edited:

xjbebop

The neck is satin, body gloss.
Stock strings felt & sounded like...melted pennies.
I put a set of Slinky's on it and made a noticeable improvement.

Gotta say, the more I play it, the more I like it....
Everybody here has their favorite models. No secret that AL's are mine. The Axis SS I got recently is a very close second.
Now this Valentine has it's own thing going on...and I'm really diggin' it! The pups are very dynamic and versatile.
Even without the coil split installed yet, this guitar gives an impressive amount of feel and voices just from riding the knobs and varying pick attack.
My first priority in any guitar these days is ergonomics - feel, balance, comfort, play-ability.
And this Valentine is scoring top marks with me...

PeteDuBaldo

Nice piece - looking forward to hearing how the coil split goes

There are a bunch of resistors and capacitors attached to the tone pot so it's not as easy a mod as it could be.

That being said, there is a VERY easy DoItYourself test you can do to hear the sounds and decide whether or not you want to invest in the modification.

1) Remove the back cavity cover
2) Find the two wires from the neck pickup which are shrink-wrapped together and not connected to anything else
3) Slide off the heat shrink tubing
4) Connect the bare wires to "ground"

This will give you the split neck humbucker sounds (provided you have the toggle in the correct positions).

xjbebop

Pete's absolutey correct (as usual...:) )
I got into it today and discovered that the little Alpha tone pot is a busy, busy boy!! :)
I'll start a new thread tomorrow with pics & descriptions...

Samoht

I'd love to hear some tones from a SBMM Valentine. They look killer. SBMM is really knocking it out of the park.

SBMM

I'd love to hear some tones from a SBMM Valentine. They look killer. SBMM is really knocking it out of the park.

EBMM sets quite the bar for what we have to live up to!
As I told Dudley and Drew at NAMM, it's truly exciting to be even a small part of a brand family with such constant and consistent, forward thinking innovation.

We're just getting started :)

Top Bottom