• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BTinker

Hey Gang,

First time poster so hopefully Im posting in the right place, I apologize in advance if not! My question is that I recently purchased a used EBMM Axis from a reputable dealer in my area. I put the SN in the proper thread to see what info I could get on it, and the information came back as Maple Neck Trans Red (which it is). But I'm confused about the year. (1992). Granted I know next to nothing about EBMM history, but were the EVH and the Axis synonymous , or we're both being sold at the same time, as mine doesn't have EVH on the headstock, or have the knob and switch in the EVH position. Can someone help clear this up for me? Thank you!

Bryan

Stevie

The EVH came first, then it became the Axis, fundamentally the same guitar but for some minor changes, like position of the pickup selector and neck width at the heal, the volume knob did not move. If there is anything else different hopefully some else will chime in.

Post some pictures, it will help with the mystery.

BTinker

That's where my question lies. If the EVH was the predecessor to the Axis, then how does my Axis come back as February 1992 if they weren't being called that yet? Am I taking crazy pills?

Here's some pics if it helps

EBMM Axis - Album on Imgur

Stevie

Judging by the picture of the neck plate, it does not look like a 1992 build. I have a 1997 Axis and the neck plate is recessed. Not sure when these stopped being recessed, but certainly not before 1997.

Nice guitar anyways!

John C

Is it just old age catching up to me, but I thought I remembered something about some serial numbers being duplicated? Maybe someone else who has been around a while has a better memory about that - it might have been a duplication between the 1980s numbers stamped into the headstock overlapping the numbers on the neck plate.

kestrou

Judging by the picture of the neck plate, it does not look like a 1992 build. I have a 1997 Axis and the neck plate is recessed. Not sure when these stopped being recessed, but certainly not before 1997.

Nice guitar anyways!

I've heard that recessed neck plates (which I like!) changed in 2000.

My 1999 Morse has recessed neck plate, and my 2001 does not - so that would be pretty accurate as an estimate for that switchover....

Kevin

Dead-Eye

I'm not sure I've ever seen an early 90s MM with a G serial number. Didn't they use the 5 digit numeric ones without any letters at that time, or was that just the EVHs?

Last edited:

joe web

I'm not sure I've ever seen an early 90s MM with a G serial number. Didn't they use the 5 digit numeric ones without any letters at that time, or was that just the EVHs?
just my thoughts!
my 1991 EVH has only numbers as its serial and no letters.
would go for a 2002 as well...but better post it again, maybe something went wrong.
maybe the serial number without the G is a1992 number....

BTinker

Thank you for everyone's info so far, posted another thread for Joel in the serial number one to see if he can clarify.

Dead-Eye

That makes more sense - also someone said earlier that it doesn't have the recessed neck plate, but to me the pictures look like it does, which would be consistent with a pre-2000 model

Stevie

I had another look at the neck plate, second viewing makes me think it is recessed. Perhaps what through me off was that the MM logo on the plate is the newer version, the combination of the recessed and new logo did not seem to fit well with me. Clearly I'm wrong and I've learnt something new!

BTinker

The neckplate is recessed, so everything makes sense now! Thanks to everyone for their input, so glad to be part of the club.

John C

just my thoughts!
my 1991 EVH has only numbers as its serial and no letters.
would go for a 2002 as well...but better post it again, maybe something went wrong.
maybe the serial number without the G is a1992 number....

Aha, that's what I was thinking of: the digits could be repeated. but later models would have the "G" prefix - as in there could be a 12345 and a G12345.

Top Bottom