• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

spychocyco

So now I've had the volume up on last week's purchase a few times, and I'm impressed and a bit surprised. I knew that the ASS would give me a little more range than my Axis just by virtue of pickup combinations and the tone knob, but by and large, I thought they'd sound about the same. I'm noticing a lot of differences. Even with tone and volume maxed out on the bridge pickup, the ASS seems to have just a little bit more clarity and depth than my Axis. With my sloppy playing, I don't know if that's necessarily all good. :D

I thought I was getting an un-Floyded version of my Axis, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised to have a slightly different voice in the arsenal, too. Now, if only my skills were worthy.

berkleeguitar

I have owned both regular Axis guitars and Axis SS guitars. I agree with you that there is a slight difference in tonality between the two. I wonder if the slight difference in routing causes the variation? More wood is removed on the SS for the additional controls.

spychocyco

Could be. My SS is the PDN, so it has some slightly different materials, too -- roasted neck and ebony board. I was wondering if that might account for it.

beej

Indeed. The bridges make a big difference, as does the extra load from the tone pot. (That's easy enough to change on either guitar.)

Top Bottom