• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

KasperFauerby

Hi guys,

Love all my EBMM guitars! Like many around here I've become really addicted to the feel of those guitars, the neck, the build quality, tuning stability... and of course the tones.

The thing is, I have a SSS shaped hole in my collection, and when recording I sometimes find myself wanting, well, that classic Strat sound.

So I've actually been considering going non-MM for the first time in almost 20 years and just get myself a good US Strat. The problem with that idea is that I will have to go pretty damn high up in their model range to get the quality I've come to expect. I especially are concerned about whammy bar tuning stability. Specifically I've been looking a bit at the Jeff Beck model with a roller nut.

But then I had another think about the Cutlass...

Currently I don't have the money for the real deal though (EBMM are expensive to get hold of here in Europe :(). But the SBMM Cutlass is extremely reasonably priced!

So yeah, what's your opinion of the Sterling Cutlass? I've seen it compared to a high-quality Mexico Strat. But I think it actually seems to go a bit further than that, with the locking tuners and what looks like a good stable MM vintage trem system.

What do you guys think of the neck? And the pickups?

Cheers,
Kasper

banjoplayer

Hi Kasper,

difficult question(s).... I only once played the real deal EBMM Cutlass in a shop in June last year and then purchased a used SBMM Cutlass in September. So it´s hard to tell.... I can remember the EBMM version feeling very classy and of course looking great. It has those tinted necks that make them look worn in whereas the SBMMs are a bit pale, especially with the maple fretboards.

Played the EBMM Cutlass through an Engl RockMaster and had a very good impression. Then again the SBMM at first didn´t sound that great to my ears. I didn´t like the pickups as they were pretty thin sounding. Don´t get me wrong, I like pickups with low output like the AL has them....50s style. But those SBMM-Cutlass pickups just sounded thin. I read they probably are manufactured by Artec which corresponds with the stickers on them (numbers...). I changed them for a set of LeoSounds (german handmade pickups) RedHouse-Set - a Jimi Hendrix style pickup set... more like a late 60s pickup with a little more output. It is another direction but now it sounds really great!

The look of the SBMM is not bad - but-the paint job could have been done better. The paint isn´t flawless, there are some minor issues. It bought it used and it was a real good deal for me, so I won´t bitch about it. But - if I would have bought it new for the price it sells in Germany I might have sent it back. Of course I think you will have a perfectly done guitar when buying an EBMM. The SBMM isn´t.

The feel of the SBMM Cutlass is great. It has a light body, a satin finished neck, a nice soft V-profile. The locking tuners look exactly like the Schallers but feel and behave slightly different, but they are absolutely okay and of course way better than normal tuners. What I really like is the solid steel block on the tremolo. I don´t think Fenders have that.

I didn´t have the money for a EBMM Cutlass and didn´t really needed it. I already have an AL and a SSS modded SUB1. So I took the chance to get this bargain. It´s the closest to a Strat of my Singlecoil guitars now. If it would be my only SSS I think I´d rather take the EBMM but if money matters and you get a good deal on one the SBMM is worth thinking about it.

I have to say I don´t know the prices in Danmark (I have been there and EVERYTHING was way expensive), but the price difference between US and Germany for the SBMM are huge and make the a little less attractive. I think the comparison with a Mexican strat is not that wrong. I honestly see it in that area. Good guitar but not a high end one.

cheers Steffen
12_zpshoczxvhr.jpg

KasperFauerby

Thank, that's exactly the kind of detailed and honest feedback I was hoping for!

The EBMM Cutlass appears to be x3 the price of a SBMM.. so of course there is going to be differences. I could live with a slightly worse paint job, as long as the neck still feels OK. And I take from your post that feel and overall playability of the SBMM Cutlass still is great.

Your thoughts on the pickups is what is causing me the greatest worry. Although, as you've done, it is of course possible to swap them out for something better. I guess the guitar could, in theory, even take pickups from a higher range strat - if I would actually want that, haven't done any kind of research and is not generally a pickup nerd :) Is it hard to swap out a set of passive single coils?

I don't know, will have to think about it. The GAS attack seems to have abated somewhat ;)

But I can't shake the feeling that perhaps we, on this forum (generally speaking of course and myself included), have indeed become a little bit "guitar snobs". I think most of us here will look at a guitar like the SBMMs as decidedly budget range - where many, many other players would think they are mighty fine instruments ;)

Thanks again!

banjoplayer

Feeling and playability is fine

pickup swap is not an issue, just simple soldering, 2 wires each pickup
but you might have to add the cost of a set of pickups if you don´t have them already, so you´re probably near the half of the price of an EBMM Cutlass.

There are some great reviews on youtube you might know, but just in case....

sterling by music man ct50 cutlass - YouTube

Rialas

So I've actually been considering going non-MM for the first time in almost 20 years and just get myself a good US Strat. The problem with that idea is that I will have to go pretty damn high up in their model range to get the quality I've come to expect. I especially are concerned about whammy bar tuning stability. Specifically I've been looking a bit at the Jeff Beck model with a roller nut.
Kasper
Personally I'd wait for a used ebmm cutlass to come along if price is a consideration. I have an Albert SSS which I love, but it doesn't sound like my strat when I want that sound. I guess the cutlass is more strattish.

Last edited:

Fender_Champ

From my experience, SBMM is incredible value and consistently punches well above it's weight. The quality and feel and finish are impressive, regardless of the price. Pickups are subjective, dependent on your own rig and easily changeable.

benoa

Cool thread... And the Seafoam Green one is calling me... You can't get a MM Cutlass in that color yet.

I understand that PUs are a real "personal" choice. And your amp and speakers can make a huge difference in the end.

benoa

"Resistance is futile" and the Seafoam Green is calling me!!! How good is the whammy bar on these cheap Cutlass??? I own 2 EBMM JP6 that are incredibly awesome, I don't expect the Sterling to be an equivalent but are they OK??? Let me know so I can cure my GAS. :)

peterd79

Long time EBMM player as are most of yous... thought not a Cutlass I've picked up a LK100D and a StingRay...

I won't focus on the LK100D as thats just in a whole different class of build quality... or at least mine is.

The StringRay was a rare "right after namm" arrival at my local shop and picked it up unopened. Great one piece body... finish was mint - couldn't (and still can't find a flaw) the thing played and sounded amazing. It was a few months ago i decided to do a pickup swap and put in some PAF's it's now one of my go-to guitars outside of the Lk100D and my EBMM guitars.

With anything "import" there will be those gems that just stick out above the rest... quality at SBMM has been getting better and better as production continues. So i'd say they are probably better now than when they were first released.

KasperFauerby

@rialas: Yeah, I would probably do that - but used EBMM guitars are VERY far between here in Denmark. Was super lucky to pick up my Reflex used at my local store for a reasonable price... so it does happen.

@benoa: Heh heh, yeah it's also the Seafoam Green that initially caught my eye. Like the white one as well. Not a big fan of sunburst guitars though, but that's just me..

@peter: Good story, and sounds like a lucky find with the Stingray. You're not helping my GAS though ;)

Magnus

A fellow dane! Hej med dig :)

They are indeed hard to find in Europe (I don't think anybody in Scandinavia stocks them) but i tried both the Stingray and Cutlass in London six months ago, where i A/B tested them against their EBMM counterparts, and i ended up buying the Sterling Stingray because:

1. I didn't have the cash then and there to buy "the real deal"
2. The Sterling stuff is REALLY good for the price.

Of course the EBMM guitars, are "better" guitars. Better wood selection, better hardware, better pickups. But for almost a quarter of price, the Sterlings are great.

It was never gonna be my main guitar, i just wanted something with passive humbuckers, to have a different voice in the arsenal, compared to my Luke II with EMGs. For those bluesy moments, you know... :)

And i ended up playing it a lot more than i thought i would. Once i'd balanced the the vibrato system and the pickup hight to my liking, it really played great!

Now, i know you're inquiring about the Cutlass, but i would say that everything stated above, about the Stingray, would hold true for the Cutlass as well . But i already had a Stratocaster, so i didn't need the single coil option, and thats why i went with the Stingray.

I'd buy one from Andertons or Thomann, and swap the pickups if you don't like them, or just send it back :)

SBMM

"Resistance is futile" and the Seafoam Green is calling me!!! How good is the whammy bar on these cheap Cutlass??? I own 2 EBMM JP6 that are incredibly awesome, I don't expect the Sterling to be an equivalent but are they OK??? Let me know so I can cure my GAS. :)

Benoa, the tremolo on the SBMM CT50 Cutlass is the same unit that we've used on the AX30 Axis, Silo30D Silhouette, LK100D Luke III, and the new STV60 St.Vincent. It's a fantastic two point tremolo, with bent steel saddles, heavy duty/weight steel trem block, as well as tremolo bar tension adjustment (1.5mm hex in the back of the block), and tremolo bar height adjustment (1.5mm hex on the bottom of the block next to the springs).

KasperFauerby

A fellow dane! Hej med dig :)

It was never gonna be my main guitar, i just wanted something with passive humbuckers, to have a different voice in the arsenal, compared to my Luke II with EMGs.

And i ended up playing it a lot more than i thought i would. Once i'd balanced the the vibrato system and the pickup hight to my liking, it really played great!

I'd buy one from Andertons or Thomann, and swap the pickups if you don't like them, or just send it back :)

Hejsa! ;)

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking now. It seems pretty risk free to give it a shot from Thomann, could always send it back. Although, after having checked reviews online I'm pretty sure I would end up liking it a lot! ;)

As you say, it's mostly to have a few more voices available..

benoa

Thanks everyone and Bryan from SBMM! Pretty cool to have you here on the forum with all of us.

I'll keep you posted. I'm driving to NYC in a couple of weeks and may come back with one SBMM Cutlass (you know the color it will be!). I'm thinking ordering it before I leave and picking it up at the store during my stay. So I will buy without trying it but I'm trusting my fellow EBMM/SBMM forumites.

Rock on!

SBMM

Thanks everyone and Bryan from SBMM! Pretty cool to have you here on the forum with all of us.

I'll keep you posted. I'm driving to NYC in a couple of weeks and may come back with one SBMM Cutlass (you know the color it will be!). I'm thinking ordering it before I leave and picking it up at the store during my stay. So I will buy without trying it but I'm trusting my fellow EBMM/SBMM forumites.

Rock on!

Looking forward to hearing how the trip goes and what you bring home :)
Safe travels, and keep us posted!

benoa

@Brian... It's ordered and guess the color!!! I hesitated with the red one but some of the pics flowing around the internet shows them with yellowish pickup covers, wish I think look cool with the red color, and some other photos the covers are white.

Will get it next Saturday. Can't wait :)

gnomeo

Hi guys and girls I am new to this forum so be gentle with me. My wife recently decided to treat me to a new guitar so I have spent the last few months looking. I have owned many guitars over the years and was struggling to find something that I really fancied. One day at my mates shop he dropped a sterling Cutlass into my lap, my first reaction of the neck was eew but as we chatted and noodled I really started to like it. I liked it so much before I left he had ordered a Olympic white one. I must admit I was dubious about single coil guitars as I am a humbucker snob and I hadn't plugged it in to a amp while in the shop as the feel had made my mind up for me. But the pickups are amazing clean or dirty the knobs do what they should do and not act as on or off switch like a lot of mid priced guitars. Could anyone tell me anything about the pickups i.e what else they are used on and what they are. Also set up and finish is spot on, only thing that let it down was the strings not a major problem as I always fit new strings anyway but these were either cheap and nasty strings or had managed to corrode while being shipped around the world. Overall this guitar is amazing if they are all this good I would put this up against any strat I have owned in the past Mex or American. I am now sold on single coils once again.

banjoplayer

Hi gnomeo,
don´t have confirmed info about the pickups. They are very low output, which I like in general, but they were not my taste. That´s why I changed them. I did a little research because they have a number on the backside. Googling it led me to "Artec". That´s why I assume, they may be from Artec. Have to look for the number at home if you are interested in deeper information.

The strings they have when delievered are usually Ernie Ball Slinkys but maybe they were old on the instrument you played.

btw. welcome and congrats to your soon new guitar. The same as one of mine.

I think it´s a good guitar and the closest to a Strat that I have from EBMM/SBMM. But when it gets serious my AL is a different caliber in terms of resonance, definition and dynamics....

Top Bottom