• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LesPaul

Both of these recently acquisitions show the same behavior. I can tune them up to be pretty stable with the bar, but if I do some big bends (step or step and a half), the string goes flat. After it goes flat, if I dive the bar and release, it comes back pretty much in tune. Anyone else seen this behavior with EBMM trems. A Google search turned up a few forum post that claim this is caused by binding at the saddles vs the nut. I'm wary of lubing the saddles because of the piezo. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mikeller

More likely the nut than the saddles. Are both guitars brand new?

Let me ask you this - what happens if you stretch all the strings, then tune, and check the tuning several times (since those bridges are floating). After all strings are in tune - do a dive or two with the bar, then re-check the tuning. Are the strings then sharp or flat?

FWIW - I use a few small dot of Tri-Flow on the saddles where the strings break periodically, and then a small dot in each nut slot with string changes. If I have one catching, I will use a very small amount of nut-sauce.

Brand new nuts can be a little grabby - that's why I asked if the guitars were brand new vs used?

michaeld13

At first my new Luke was going out of tune some like you mentioned- so I put a new set of strings on ...and then decided I wanted to try a different brand- was still having some tuning stability but it was new strings and a new guitar- but then I switched to a new set and decided to wrap more string around the post- not a full turn, but 3/4's or so just so the string turns more around the post- not sure if that did it- but mine has been very stable since... I think it mostly has to do with the guitar settling in...

LesPaul

Let me ask you this - what happens if you stretch all the strings, then tune, and check the tuning several times (since those bridges are floating). After all strings are in tune - do a dive or two with the bar, then re-check the tuning. Are the strings then sharp or flat?

FWIW - I use a few small dot of Tri-Flow on the saddles where the strings break periodically, and then a small dot in each nut slot with string changes. If I have one catching, I will use a very small amount of nut-sauce.

Brand new nuts can be a little grabby - that's why I asked if the guitars were brand new vs used?
Hi Mike,

The JP is used. Built in 2013. The Majesty is also used. Built in December of 2015.

Which tri flow product do you use? Why do you prefer it over BB nut sauce?

I'll do what you said later when I'm done with work and let you know.

Thanks

Jon

LesPaul

Just got back to this. Been sick all week. I did what you suggested. After a couple of whammy dives, the G and low E went pretty sharp. The G more so.

michaeld13

I think it's floating trems with no locking nut. I have a Floyd and it's really stable after doing just about anything. My new Luke goes in and out some days better than others. Doesn't seem like a locking nut would make that big adiffernce but it definitely does. Hopefully ours are just new guitars settling in and will get better. And mine is not bad, just not quite ideal.

mikeller

Just got back to this. Been sick all week. I did what you suggested. After a couple of whammy dives, the G and low E went pretty sharp. The G more so.

It that's the case, its likely binding in the nut slot. Try a light amount of big bends and work it in good.

JamieCrain

Try tightening the screws that adjust the friction of the tuning keys. This usually works well.

fstrat76

Yep, I have the same exact problem. On mine, its definitely not the nut. Tried everything. I don't use the trem that much anymore on it - nor the guitar actually. I hope you have better luck than I have had.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/63135-majesty-6-stability.html

JamieCrain

There is a small screw on the top of the tuning key. It controls the friction of the tuner. If you tighten it (gently), it will help prevent any string slippage but makes the tuning key harder to turn.

Andreas93

There is a small screw on the top of the tuning key. It controls the friction of the tuner. If you tighten it (gently), it will help prevent any string slippage but makes the tuning key harder to turn.
Now I get it! Thank you! Ive had some tuning issues too, but it seems like Big bends nut sauce totally helps!
I really like this forum. Everone is very friendly and helpful! Thank you guys

Etudica

I'd loosen the strings and check the bridge posts and knife edges. If they are torn up and gouged then that could be the issue. If that's not the case at least make sure there isn't any dirt or grime on the posts/edges.

I have a few non-EBMM guitars with various Edge trems that have a lot of wear on the knife edges from years and years of use and had the same issue with strings going out of tune (but a quick flick up and release of the trem arm brought it back each time). After eliminating the nut, tuner, etc. as possible cause I decided to put a small dab of nut sauce on the posts where the bridges seat and that seems to have kept them happy between string changes. I do this on my EB posts now too and haven't had any issues in a while.

Top Bottom