• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

73watermutt

I just picked up this silo special for a good price. After getting it today I see a crack on the back of the headstock. It looks like its been there awhile but it concerns me. Id like some opinions on it and some neck pocket cracks to. Thanks

beej

Is that really a crack in the headstock? It extends beyond the finish on the back of the headstock, and sort of blends into the line of the wood grain. Can you feel it?

The stress cracks in the body finish are a little larger than I'm using to seeing, though if that doesn't crack further you're good. Probably due to some trauma.

xjbebop

That looks like that autumn burst from GC we saw a few days back (??)
I'm no expert, but it looks like it's been dropped to me. Hard to know the extent of the damage without a full takedown inspection.
It can likely be repaired, but at what cost??

73watermutt

yeah, its the one from GC. Talked to the sales guy on the phone and he failed to mention the headstock crack. This thing looks like a road warrior. I'd bet it was someones main gigging guitar. I pulled the neck and its a 2001. it plays and sounds nice but that crack kind of sucks. I can feel it with my fingernail but it seems solid though.It doesn't look like it extends into the tuner hole. I wonder if it will get worse over time?

Last edited:

xjbebop

I'd say email those pics the EBMM customer service, see what they say.
That big crack at the neck joint looks nasty to me.....

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Some of what we're seeing there is certainly just finish cracking. I'm not too worried at all. But GC should absolutely have mentioned it though. I'd be be demanding a partial refund and then sending it to EBMM for refret and refinish.

spychocyco

I wondered who grabbed that one. The photos at GC looked like it needed some TLC, but that thing looks like it's seen some real abuse. I agree, I'd definitely take it up with GC for not including that in the posting.

73watermutt

Frets are in pretty good shape and the finish cracks around the neck pocket don't really concern me at all. I would guess it took a fall at some point. Thing plays and sounds great though. GC is not going to offer any partial refund. They say it was priced low because of the crack. Funny he only mentioned the neck pocket crack. I should have had them send me more pics but I trusted the guy. My fault but it is still a great guitar and make a nice companion to my axis. I cleaned her up and slapped on a new set of regular slinkys.

Last edited:

73watermutt

I'll keep an eye on it and hope it doesn't get any worse. If it does I'll have it repaired. Even with her battles scars she is still an eye catcher in the right light.

orion_21

There's nothing to really drive a crack in the wood in that direction at the headstock other than some sort of thermal shock that may have just cracked the finish up there since the finish and wood don't expand/contract at the same rate. It would be surprising if that was really through the wood.

73watermutt

I'm starting to think the same thing. The more I look at it the more it looks like it's just the finish. It looks like it runs into the bare wood but there is a little finish right at the edge and it stops at that spot.

Johnny Alien

I disagree. I think that there is a spot where it's a finish crack but that for sure looks like it's a wood crack near the curve at the base of the headstock. Those cracks at the neck pocket are much larger and appear deeper than a typical finish stress crack. They look like they are into the wood too. Either way unless GC gave a good discount I would return it as most people will pass on that if you try to resell it OR they will ask for a pretty heavy discount. Even the people here saying it's no issue.

73watermutt

I got it for $499 so I think I did alright on it. I have no plans to sell it so if it needs repairs in the future I'll have them done.

berkleeguitar

Those neck pocket cracks are larger that the usual EBMM cracks. Have a luthier look at it to verify the integrity of the neck joint.

Top Bottom