• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

jwp333

I probably have messed up my nut. I'm getting some pinging on the g string when I aggressively bend. Looks like the slot is too wide, my fault if so as I've done some filing. I could try the trick of filling it with bone dust and super glue and refile. But if I want to get a new nut, does anyone know if this is a flat bottom or a curved bottom nut? Anyone know of a good replacement that is pretty close, understanding that some sanding is necesssary?

jwp333

Give MM a call on Monday and see if you can get a nut from them.

I might just try that. Rather embarrassed that I apparently let this happen. But there were a few changes too. I went to the light gauge from the medium gauge, so its a 15 instead of a 17 in that slot now. Plus I didn't give it as many wraps around the post. It's coming out right about where the bottom of the hole is and it's the string with the least amount of break over the nut. I may just get another 15 today and experiment with more wraps to see if that holds it down better. As of now, I've resorted to putting a piece of mouse pad foam through the strings behind the nut to eliminate the ping.

banjoplayer

I probably have messed up my nut. I'm getting some pinging on the g string when I aggressively bend. Looks like the slot is too wide, my fault if so as I've done some filing. I could try the trick of filling it with bone dust and super glue and refile. But if I want to get a new nut, does anyone know if this is a flat bottom or a curved bottom nut? Anyone know of a good replacement that is pretty close, understanding that some sanding is necesssary?

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-b...question-2.html?highlight=nut+flat+silhouette
seems like the bottom is curved. Tommy (Steve´s tech) says they may all be curved si I guess the Morse too

jwp333

Called them up today. Talked to the technical support guy and I ordered replacement blanks, 2 for $5 plus $7.50 shipping. Very impressed by the fact that I could talk to someone that easily. Meantime I'm still having some success with the piece of mousepad running through the strings behind the nut. The ping is gone but I'll probably go through with the replacement surgery when I get the blanks.

Top Bottom