• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Aragorn35016

Thinking about trying a set on my new Stingray 5, I have them on my jazz bass and love them (4string). Just curious if anyone has some soundclips playing on the B so I can get an idea of what they sound like before I plop 30 bucks on a set.

Thanks!

John

Aragorn35016

So went to the local GC, which only had cobalts in a 4 string set so I didn't get to try a set.(figures) I tried a set of another popular brand that I use occasionally, who's 4 string sets are really good, but unfortunately they are expensive, and 35 dollars later I had a set of strings with the worst B string that Iv'e ever heard. So much so that I dug my old set of EB's out of the garbage, sterilized them, and put them back on. I think i'm going to stick with stock slinky's since they do sound good (albeit this set is starting to go a little dead from being handled by misc customers at the music store). 35 dollar lesson learned I guess.

stu42

I don't have any soundclips but I can attest to the fact that the new cobalt flats (Slinky flats) have a really terrific low B string. I have them on my Bongo 5H fretless and the low B has a very solid and defined thump and a really great fundamental. I have the cobalt rounds on my other Bongo and they also sound great and provide a more solid, punchy and extended low end compared to the standard slinkys. So, either way...cobalt rounds or flats...in my experience, you'd get a more extended, punchy low end compared to the standard slinkys.

Aragorn35016

I don't have any soundclips but I can attest to the fact that the new cobalt flats (Slinky flats) have a really terrific low B string. I have them on my Bongo 5H fretless and the low B has a very solid and defined thump and a really great fundamental. I have the cobalt rounds on my other Bongo and they also sound great and provide a more solid, punchy and extended low end compared to the standard slinkys. So, either way...cobalt rounds or flats...in my experience, you'd get a more extended, punchy low end compared to the standard slinkys.

Thanks for the info, the stock slinky's on the Basses B string is really exceptionally good, probably the best B that I've ever heard, they are just on the dead side from the bass hanging in a music store getting played by who knows who! I was shocked at the difference between the stock string and the B string from the set that I temporarily put on, which was just a blurry mess of overtones from the 5th fret up. The stock string is fairly stable all the way up to the 14th fret.

Top Bottom