• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Newand

Hello everyone! As this is my first post I wanted to get off on the right foot. Is it ok to contact another member to ask them if they're willing to part with their bass? I realize that the owner would probably have posted it in the for sale thread but as I'm having trouble finding my dream Stingray I thought I might ask first. Thank you and have a bass day.

xjbebop

Welcome aboard!
I would recommend posting a "wanted/searching for..." description of what you're looking for.
Contacting individuals directly, asking them "how much? I want to buy your bass..." would be rather rude.
You've seen John Wick haven't you...??

jones4tone

Welcome to the forum!

I guess my opinion is a little different than Bebop's. I personally would not be offended by one polite message from another member either asking if I had any interest in moving a guitar, or asking me to let them know if I ever decided to part with a particular one. (Heck, you'll see such pleas in public posts here from time to time regarding out-of-production/rare instruments, after all!)

That said, it would be much more efficient to use the "Wanted to buy" thread that is a sticky thread in the basses forum, as he suggested. :D

Good luck with your search!

Newand

Welcome to the forum!

I guess my opinion is a little different than Bebop's. I personally would not be offended by one polite message from another member either asking if I had any interest in moving a guitar, or asking me to let them know if I ever decided to part with a particular one. (Heck, you'll see such pleas in public posts here from time to time regarding out-of-production/rare instruments, after all!)

That said, it would be much more efficient to use the "Wanted to buy" thread that is a sticky thread in the basses forum, as he suggested. :D

Good luck with your search!

Thank you! I'll do exactly that. I appreciate the response!

Golem

One could kinda split the difference ....

So you see Billy Bob's ax in some thread and you
have lust in your heart for that bass, but BillyBob
doesn't even know you exist :-(

Do the two-step:

1. Post your lust in the "Wanted to Buy" stickie,
as already suggested in a previous post.

2. But don't just wonder whether BillyBob ever
even reads the WTB stickie ... Post a reply in the
thread where you encountered the bass for which
you lust. Use the opening line "ATTN BillyBoB !"
and provide a link to your post in the WTB stickie,
in which you have offered to pay above market
rate for your heart's desire.

Groveling might help ;-)

Last edited:

five7

I commented once on how beautiful a sterling 5 was here on the forum and how I would love to own it. A month or so went by and out of the blue the owner contacted me and asked if I would be interested in buying it. He offered me such a good deal I couldn't say no. So, to the OP I would say it is worth a try.

Newand

Thank you very much to all who responded. I'm having a little trouble figuring out what year the Stingray is but I know it's a Dargie Delight II, caramel apple delight 4 string with a maple neck. At least that's what I was told. Ok! Off to do my research!

b-unit

I don't think it's rude at all to contact someone directly if asked politely with no pressure or guilt trip attached.

Edmang

Thank you very much to all who responded. I'm having a little trouble figuring out what year the Stingray is but I know it's a Dargie Delight II, caramel apple delight 4 string with a maple neck. At least that's what I was told. Ok! Off to do my research!

I think the DDII were 2009.

But you can always post your serial number here and they will get back to you with the information:

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-basses/1254-music-serial-database.html

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist

The Dargie Delight I is what sucked me in, I lurked for 2 years before I got mine in the last month.
I think you have a good strategy, and hopefully a II doesn't require as much patience as a I.

Top Bottom