• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

scottbaiowulf

New to the forums and MM instruments, just got my first StingRay last week. Looking around online I've noticed that "MADE IN SAN LUIS OBISPO" has been removed from the headstocks, just wondering what the reason was for this since I know they're still made in the same factory. Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms but I couldn't find anything about it on google or the forum search.

drTStingray

I've read something about this somewhere - to do with the State of Calfornia changing legislation requiring that anything purporting to be Made in California required every bit of it to be made there - not sure whether this goes down to the last screw or piece of wire but I guess items like Schaller tuners are not made in California - I wonder if the wood would need to be sourced in CA also?

My latest Stingray has the California heritage logo on the back of the headstock.

scottbaiowulf

I've read something about this somewhere - to do with the State of Calfornia changing legislation requiring that anything purporting to be Made in California required every bit of it to be made there - not sure whether this goes down to the last screw or piece of wire but I guess items like Schaller tuners are not made in California - I wonder if the wood would need to be sourced in CA also?

My latest Stingray has the California heritage logo on the back of the headstock.

thanks for the info, looks like that's definitely the case:
California’s 'Made In The USA' Law: 1 Year Later - Law360

Golem

I wonder if there's any legal weaseling to solve this.

Just a 'for instance', as a guess, not a lawyer myself,
but .....

If the law defines "MADE in SLO" as meaning that
EVERY molecule is MADE in SLO, does that rule out
a slight change like mebbe "Crafted" in SLO ?

I'm not trying to be funny or ironic. Laws can be very
specific. "MADE" may equal "Manufactured", which is
applicable to every component, IOW the tuners are
manufactured items, and manufactured in Germany
so thaz really a problem.

Just wondering if "Crafted" might refer only to the
components that are "crafted", which is not exactly
the same thing as "manufactured". It's mainly the
wooden parts that would be considered "crafted",
and they're a 100% SLO item.

Last edited:

Movielife

We are planning a trip to California all the way from rainy Manchester, UK, and we plan to at least spend a bit of time in San Luis Obispo when driving from LA to San Fran. When I think of SLO I always think of the Musicman guys and gals. So, it is a shame, especially when you just use German tuners (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!).

Bizarre laws. Same product though, and cool little bear.

Ox Boris

well.....in the USA its a pretty special place. It's not townsville...hahahahahahaha
Oh, don't get me started! Bloody silly name. Translates as Townstown. Named after a man of questionable morals regarding the ownership of fellow primates, named Robert Towns. The first mate on that ship, as it sailed north looking for a commercial harbour, was called Charles Rockingham. We could be called "Rockingham" right now. Or even, "Chuck Rock City". I'd take that over Townsville.

74hc

The law reference above, SB633, goes the other way. It changes the regulations to loosen the definition of "Made in U.S.A."

It does not mention made in California either. So I have to wonder why the removal of my beloved "Made in SLO, California, USA" that's silkscreened on the back of the headstock is gone on the new basses. Thankfully, it's still on mine! ;)

... When I think of SLO I always think of the Musicman guys and gals.

I'd venture to say that most of us out here in CA, think of CalPoly when thinking of SLO. When I think of SLO in terms of Music Man, I tend to think of my Sterling first, then H1B visas for IT workers second. Sometimes I pick up my MIA pbass on those occasions, but I'm sure there are things I'm unaware of that would cause me to put it down at times.

Last edited:

syciprider

Because MIA or Made in SLO are too pro American and therefore offensive to the world village, all inclusive, plural culture that exists in CA legislators minds.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
The law reference above, SB633, goes the other way. It changes the regulations to loosen the definition of "Made in U.S.A."

It does not mention made in California either. So I have to wonder why the removal of my beloved "Made in SLO, California, USA" that's silkscreened on the back of the headstock is gone on the new basses. Thankfully, it's still on mine! ;)

I'd venture to say that most of us out here in CA, think of CalPoly when thinking of SLO. When I think of SLO in terms of Music Man, I tend to think of my Sterling first, then H1B visas for IT workers second. Sometimes I pick up my MIA pbass on those occasions, but I'm sure there are things I'm unaware of that would cause me to put it down at times.

I do think of freshman year at SLO, and the Madonna Inn (I did stay there once)...

If you have the money I'd recommend the Madonna Inn on your trip but mostly I'd recommend a visit to Montano de Oro, such a beautiful beach, love the walk out to Sand Spit.

Top Bottom