• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Hey all, I've only ever seen JP6's with a black nut, does this look correct?
fqmoy.jpg

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
It's almost certainly not the original nut. The question is this: was it replacing a stock compensated nut (which were introduced 2006 on regular production models)? If it is, there may be problems with intonation or tuning. If it's a pre-2006 instrument, which would have had a standard nut, and the nut slots are correctly cut, it'll be just fine.

Owner says it's 100% stock, were the pre 2006 nuts not white either? I posted the Ser # to try and date the instrument L04478

PeteDuBaldo

You couldn't get a lefty JP6 in 2006.

The compensated nut made its first appearance on the JP and most instruments in 2005 with the Buttercream limited edition , it was on the Bongo bass a few years earlier.

The compensated nut made its first appearance on the JP and most instruments in 2005 with the Buttercream limited edition , it was on the Bongo bass a few years earlier.

Thanks for the info. So I guess my question would then be; should I be concerned with this purchase given that the nut has been replaced with a non compensated version for some reason? How much would it cost to get a compensated one put in by a good luthier on average (or can it even be sent to EBMM themselves to do it?)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo

Ah! Pete is indeed correct. First ones were 2008/2009, so would definitely have had compensated nut.

You can buy one from EBMM and have a tech/luthier install it (it's exactly the same job for them, it just looks a little different), or ship the guitar to EBMM and have them do it. They'll refret too if need be. Give them a call and (see links in my signature).

Owner says it's 100% stock, were the pre 2006 nuts not white either? I posted the Ser # to try and date the instrument L04478

You'll have response on that tomorrow or Tuesday.

For anyone interested, here's the response on the Ser #;
"This lefty JP6 was completed on May 8th, 2009. The color is Pearl Redburst with the Rosewood fretboard & Matching headstock. It was originally shipped to our Artist Relations Department. We don't have the nut information in the database, in 2009 standard order JP models were built with the compensated nut so it most likely had that unless the artist was requesting something else."

The guy I'm buying it from said the prev owner was endorsed by EBMM and is certain it's dead stock so my assumption is
that the endorsee requested that nut for some reason. If it holds tune and is perfectly intimated I'll keep it, if not I'm gonna
Have that compensated but put on, unless anyone can think of a reason not to?

Top Bottom