• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Rikseven

Hello MM users,

My dream came true a couple of weeks ago, when I could buy my first MusicMan guitar, which is a beautiful SUB1. I was extremely lucky because the instrument was/is in mint condition. The story of the guitar is fantastic. It had been in a music shop in the storage room for many years and they totally forgot about it. The fellow I bought from was helping his friend who worked in that shop. They had no idea that there was a Music Man is in the back and when they found it - only a year ago - the guy bought the guitar straight away.
He put two 500k pots in it, a Duncan Design bridge and a Seymour Duncan '59 neck pickup. And it came with Fender premium hard case.

Well when I recieved I knew that this setup is not really "my cup of tea". So I took it apart. I sanded the neck this afternoon. Although I haven't finished entirely it feels heavenly. Then add a little true-oil and wax on it. I'll make a new pickguard (from white perloid material) because I prefer HSS configuration. I'm planning to buy the following config:
neck - Area 58
middle - Area 61
bridge - PAF Pro
I also ordered DiMarzio EP1104 5-way selector and new pot caps. So it is on the way to rebirth. I'll let you know how the project goes on.
I'm really happy and proud that I own an instrument like that.

DSCN8215.jpg

Last edited:

banjoplayer

Welcome! Nice one, congrats. I see you have the cinnamon one (like I do). Cool colour
let us see pics of the finished guitar please!
good guitars those SUB1s!

edhalen

Congrats and welcome to the family! Definitely want to see the finished product! Enjoy the process.

Spudmurphy

Nice one - I remember "back in the day" , I played one at a UK Knuckleheadbash - all original and it was really fantastic.

Congrats on scoring one - shame it's not all original but hey ...

Try finding one nowadays? ...... oh you did! :cool:

Last edited:

Rikseven

Hi Guys,
I've finished with the sanding of the neck. What a long and tiring process it was. I think it was 6 hours. But the result is awsome. So it is time to step the stage! Oiling and waxing.

DSCN8252.jpg DSCN8250.jpg DSCN8251.jpg

edhalen

Nicely done! The more patience the better the sanding job. Bravo! I can't wait to see the finished product!

fbecir

Congratulations

The SUB is really a great guitar. I have mine since 2008 (I bought it new : the story is here).
I put some Morse pickups in it.

You did a great job with the neck. In my case, I do not use sand paper, just my left hand :
IMG_20170318_165313_zpsgylv9iig.jpg

IMG_20170318_165349_zpsyswy0dec.jpg

It takes a bit longer :rolleyes:

Rikseven

I completetly agree with you fbecir! Subs are really great instruments!

Interesting sanding job on your neck :) It took me about 1 minute to reach the same result with sanding sponge. If you have it since 2008 and if you want to use tru-oil and wax on your guitar neck, you will have to use your left hand for about 3240 years. :)

Last edited:

Mincer

I have an SUB1 and was wondering about sanding the neck. Some people said that the paint comes off quickly, and you say it took 6 hours. Can you describe the process you used? I don't want to rush through it, and if it takes 6 hours, so be it...but I'd like to do it correctly. I have a Silo Special and it feels wonderful to play.

Rikseven

Of course I share my experiences and my knowledge.
People may say that the paint comes off quickly. It depends on the sanding paper or the sponge. Or God forbid, some can use a machine for the entire process.
First of all you have to mask the fretboard and the headstock. Tha masking tape has to cover the side of the frets too on the side of the fretboard. It is very important otherwise you can cause problem of your frets.
I chose 400 grit sanding sponge. (I wanted to buy rougher, but the store ran out of the 360grit sponge) First I started to sand the non-visible places. You know, I wasn't truly shure the outcome. Then I saw the result and I started to sand the visible parts. It was really long and tiring process. But it worth because the neck has become smooooooth.
This video is a great help for the preparation and the process:
I warmly advise you to watch it if you want to get rid of the sticky gloss finish of your guitar neck.
If you have more questions, don't hesitate my friend.

Jack FFR1846

The oil/wax finish is better than anything else that exists. I did this with my Sub 1 some years ago (a full write up was done here right before the wheel was invented). This is such a solid, good guitar. I still have mine (have sold almost all of my other guitars). One of my sons is playing it these days.

Rikseven

Hello Guys,
Here I am again with some news about my guitar. The project goes well.
I made a new pickguard (from white perloid material). Then I managed to buy two Area 58s so they are at the neck and the middle position. Unfortunately their colors are cream so far because I couldn't find proper white pick-up covers. (Don't you have two unused, spare covers?) And for the bridge: a PAF Pro is coming from Germany. It'll arrive within a week. It is the last larger missing item. Then comes the soldering.
I can't wait to play with.:D
DSCN8359.jpg without pickguard.jpg under machine1.jpg pickguard.jpg

Top Bottom