• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

T- Bone

Hey guys! Loving my 25th but I really would love it more with a professionally installed Floyd Rose. I know I've seen a couple pics of one's that have been done but I can't find the threads.

Can anyone recommend a luthier would could take on this task without destroying such a beautiful guitar? It absolutely has to be a 'perfect' job when completed.

Thanks!

mikeller

With the others leave alone. Set up properly MM trem work really well and are far easier to deal with than Floyd units .

T- Bone

I have an axis already. This guitar is far from my axis in many ways, all of which you know already. I want a Floyd because that is what I prefer. I don't want it to float, I want to be like the axis and will put a Dtuna on it as well. I don't care for the vintage trem that came on it. I loathe bent saddles and in fact changed all my strat bridges that had bent saddles with Gotoh 510's. But at heart I am a Floyd guy. I like double locking systems, and I also like the way my palm rests on the bridge. I'm not looking to destroy this guitar...it's magnificent and beautiful. I simply want to make it work for ME.

ZeroFivefour

I have an axis already. This guitar is far from my axis in many ways, all of which you know already. I want a Floyd because that is what I prefer. I don't want it to float, I want to be like the axis and will put a Dtuna on it as well. I don't care for the vintage trem that came on it. I loathe bent saddles and in fact changed all my strat bridges that had bent saddles with Gotoh 510's. But at heart I am a Floyd guy. I like double locking systems, and I also like the way my palm rests on the bridge. I'm not looking to destroy this guitar...it's magnificent and beautiful. I simply want to make it work for ME.

T-Bone,

I completeley agree with you regarding making the the guitar work for you.

That is exactly the reason why I had my Axis Floyd routed for a recess. I was simply not using it anymore, but I loved it and knew I could mod it to my needs. I decided to make it work for me.:)

I had Joel Grant, at Grant Guitars route the top recess of my axis Cherry Burst to make my axis a Full Floating Floyd. He did an excellent pro job.

I whole heartedly and completely recommend his work. I will use him in the future as well if/when the need arises.

He's in fountain valley , CA
714-434-1201

Good luck

Here is a link to the post documenting the work he did.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/60994-black-cherry-axis-routed-recessed-floyd.html

Last edited:

T- Bone

T-Bone,

I completeley agree with you regarding making the the guitar work for you.

That is exactly the reason why I had my Axis Floyd routed for a recess. I was simply not using it anymore, but I loved it and knew I could mod it to my needs. I decided to make it work for me.:)

I had Joel Grant, at Grant Guitars route the top recess of my axis Cherry Burst to make my axis a Full Floating Floyd. He did an excellent pro job.

I whole heartedly and completely recommend his work. I will use him in the future as well if/when the need arises.

He's in fountain valley , CA
714-434-1201

Good luck

Here is a link to the post documenting the work he did.

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/60994-black-cherry-axis-routed-recessed-floyd.html
Thank you! THIS is the kind of response I wanted to hear. So many members here think it's a sacreligious thing to do if one would want to modify their instrument to THEIR liking. I have a guitar here that I absolutely love. But it's not exactly what I want. Resale value is not a concern to me, I don't buy guitars to hang on the wall. I use all my guitars both for playing with my band and recording. I'm a musician...not a collector.

I'll give your guy a call and check out his work and his pricing.

Thanks again!

Smellybum

Hey guys! Loving my 25th but I really would love it more with a professionally installed Floyd Rose. I know I've seen a couple pics of one's that have been done but I can't find the threads.

Can anyone recommend a luthier would could take on this task without destroying such a beautiful guitar? It absolutely has to be a 'perfect' job when completed.

Thanks!

can I pay you not to ?

mikeller

T-Bone - yes indeed, it is your guitar and if that works better for you than that's is your choice.

I have zero clue whatsoever what is involved in removing the factory trem system and putting in a floyd etc but one caution would be if it requires extra routing, will that interfere with the chambered body or better put, will the chambered body interfere with the floyd bridge? And would it possibly change the tone of the guitar?

That's all - good luck and keep us posted on this if you decide to do that.

jones4tone

T-bone,

I understand why some have encouraged you not to make this modification to your 25th. Most of us here are not truly collectors, but do, I think, revere the craftsmanship on display in EBMM's guitars. (As for me, I have several EBMMs, but have traded away a couple already that weren't ideal for my own playing and preferences. I don't want them just for display, I want to use them to help me grow as a musician, and enjoy that journey.)

But it seems you've "counted the cost" already, that resale value is far from a primary concern of yours, and that the guitar you want for your playing is a 25th with a recessed Floyd bridge. Go for it, and then enjoy a great guitar, made to match just a little better with your personal style/preferences.

Good luck!

Spudmurphy

I bleeb that the guitar will have to have two holes drilled in the neck, behind the nut to accommodate the string locking "mechanics" . I'm not a floyd user but I also bleeb that some are routed out on the face of the guitar to make the "dive bomb" easier.
It's all cool and I'm not denouncing Floyds, but I have achieved the same results with a classic trem.
Hey - horses for courses, ...... However, from my own experience, having modded a Les Paul Custom in the 70's making it into a 3 pick up, I now regret having done it - it has affected it's value.

Just have a real hard think before ya do it, just sayin'

jones4tone

will that interfere with the chambered body or better put, will the chambered body interfere with the floyd bridge?

Oooh, I hadn't thought of this at all, but what Mike said is very important to clarify with customer service or otherwise before proceeding. There are, as I understand it, dozens of small chambers routed out of the thicker, middle layer of the body - you'd want to confirm that either they are not present behind the bridge, or at least that there would be enough remaining top thickness between the new cavity you have made and a chamber beneath it (and that sounds dicey to me if there are chambers behind the bridge).

I can't recall where, but somewhere I've seen either photos or illustrations of the chambering on the 25th/Reflex bodies that would be useful reference for you.

Edit: Here's a photo that I believe is a Reflex/25th body in production.

IMG_0226.JPG

Last edited:

T- Bone

Here's a picture of the cross section of the 25th. You'll be putting a nice big hole in the Mahogany tone block. Good luck.

View attachment 31606
The only issue will be the studs. the cavity that the block fits down into may need enlarged slightly. I already stated that I DO NOT want it to float, so there will be no routing behind the Floyd. It will rest on the body just as the Axis does. From the pics it looks to be a simple mod once the studs are drilled in the correct spot.

I know I've seen a pic of one that had been modded here but I can't find it anywhere

crywolf71

That is mine 25th. Installing wasn't an easy job. There is not much wood between the pick up cavity and where te studs will be installed. Getting the intonation correct is the problem when putting the studs to far back. I have a Gotoh floyd on mine. Love that trem. Mine 25th had a fixed bridge.
You can Pm me if your interested. Recently i picked up 3 Evh, and a guitar in my collection has to go.

crywolf71

Tom asked forsome detail photo's
The nutlock is top mounted. Installing was quite a pain to get the intonation good and leaving enough wood. We had to use woodscrew studs. The original with bushing would not fit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom