• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kn38ms

slim & none...?? :(

Sadly, only now do I realize the badassery of this bass after it's extinction....damn !

bovinehost

Administrator
Well, I don't work for nor do I speak for the company, but it's hard to imagine it coming back into production after being discontinued. But a few models have, so anything's possible.....but not probable.

They are great basses, though, and I'll never get rid of my Big Al 5H.

Golem

Once upon a time, there was a snowball.
And he was an evil, baaaaaaad snowball.
He died and then he failed his admission
interview at the Pearly Gates and ... well,
you can figger where this is going ;-)

Last edited:

kn38ms

A Sterling neck with essentially Bongo electronics.

What was I thinkin' not jumping at these ? :confused:

Wonder if I could convince the big boss to do a one off for me. (for a nominal fee)
Perhaps a Starry nite SSS Big Al ...booyah!

Last edited:

muggsy

Used ones pop up from time to time. In fact, there are several in the TB classifieds right now. That's a much better bet than waiting around for a reissue. If you're laying odds on that, reread Golem's post.

bovinehost

Administrator
The single H version of the Big Al (esp in 5 stringer) are glorious machines. I use mine a lot live and recording and it just kills.

Edmang

The single H version of the Big Al (esp in 5 stringer) are glorious machines. I use mine a lot live and recording and it just kills.

How does it sound in comparison to a Bongo or SR single H? Thanks

Magic Jason

Hey guys,

I've a Big AL 4, SSS, sunburst, mapple, non matching in great condition?

Any idea how much I could ask for it?

Thanks!

BIGEJ2

Big Al's were awesome. Everything was "right" about those basses aesthetically. They could also cop just about any tone. I had a 5 H and 5 SSS. The only reason I moved them was they were a little too complex for me. They had almost too much flexibility. I played both on the passive setting, all pickup selector buttons up 99% of the time. Only really used passive tone control to help with room acoustics. It was nice having all of the other options available but eventually the novelty wore off.

They both went to a good home and I've been using a Bongo 5 HH since. If EBMM decided to bring the Al back, I would certainly consider one. They were a very fun instrument and nice departure from the norm.

bovinehost

Administrator
The 5H is hardly that complicated, you know. If it were, I wouldn't use mine all the time, trust me. I found the SSS to be a bit of a knob farm and, on the gig, was constantly messing with it because it was fun to mess with. LOOKIT ALL THE TONES! But I'm not that smart, so I'm easily distracted. I had a lot of other stuff to worry about in a live situation, plus, hey, when doing all the proper things, I tend to get one good sound and then not really mess with it much. The SSS offered too many possibilities for a guy who is easily distracted/confused.

Tone-wise, I'm very bad at describing differences between basses, and the electronics in the BA 5H are very much Bongo, so I don't notice a big change when switching. Of course, strings and amps/cabs and rooms all factor into that.

The Big Al was a great, great instrument and I was sorry to see it go. You guys should have bought more of them!

Jimmyb

I don't know why, but recently I've been hankering after a 5 string Big Al SSS fretless.
Probably just for the novelty of it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Jimmyb

I know. I'm funding it with the proceeds from my hen's teeth farm!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

muggsy

I don't know why, but recently I've been hankering after a 5 string Big Al SSS fretless.
Probably just for the novelty of it!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Good luck with THAT search! Not likely to be a lot of those about.

Actually, there's a lined fretless Big Al 5 SSS for sale in the TB classifieds right now. Looks pretty sweet too. Not mine, I just happened to see it yesterday.

Fuzzy Dustmite

That one must have just showed up. I search the GC used stuff for Big Als occasionally and haven't seen any on there for a while, maybe since I bought my 4h all rosewood off there.

Top Bottom