• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

spychocyco

So I've now made my first foray into both the seven-string world and the SBMM world.

Normally, I suck at eBay because I bid what I'm willing to pay and leave it alone. That means I usually lose auctions by a buck or two. I've been thinking about maybe buying an inexpensive seven-string for a while. I really wanted to bump it up to an SBMM JP, but couldn't justify the expense over a cheaper guitar. A week and a half ago, I placed an impulse bid on a JP70. I almost immediately had bidder remorse because it would cut into my budget for the planned JP150 later this year, and of course, I suck so bad with six strings what am I going to do with seven? No big deal, though. I bid the minimum, so someone will outbid me in the final seconds.

Well, I've just been informed that I'm the proud new owner of a JP70. :p

Pics when it gets here.

Mariner-aaron

Hang in there i am absolutely horrible at guitar but 7's feel more natural in my hands compared to a 6. I don't why but they just for me. Try it out for a few months play it everyday and see if your opinion changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonechaser1

So I've now made my first foray into both the seven-string world and the SBMM world.

Normally, I suck at eBay because I bid what I'm willing to pay and leave it alone. That means I usually lose auctions by a buck or two. I've been thinking about maybe buying an inexpensive seven-string for a while. I really wanted to bump it up to an SBMM JP, but couldn't justify the expense over a cheaper guitar. A week and a half ago, I placed an impulse bid on a JP70. I almost immediately had bidder remorse because it would cut into my budget for the planned JP150 later this year, and of course, I suck so bad with six strings what am I going to do with seven? No big deal, though. I bid the minimum, so someone will outbid me in the final seconds.

Well, I've just been informed that I'm the proud new owner of a JP70. :p

Pics when it gets here.

First of all, CONGRATS on your pending NGD!

I don't think you will be disappointed. I bought the exact same guitar on a whim at GC a few years ago and it has become one of the best guitars that I own, and I am fortunate enough to own a Majesty and a Luke 3.

BTW, I have kept it completely stock and it ROCKS!!! Great playing, sounding, and a very stable 7 string guitar and it's light as well!

Enjoy your new guitar!

spychocyco

So it arrived today. She was a little more battle scarred than the seller advertised. There's some pretty heavy buckle scratching on the plastics on the back, and the pick swirling is, to me, a little more than "very light." That said, it's still in great shape. There's one more serious ding on the headstock, which was disclosed, and it didn't include the original Sterling gig bag, also disclosed. Overall, though, I'm happy. The purple is a bit darker than I expected from the seller's photos, but that's not a bad thing.

I absolutely love the neck on it. It's a bit wide for my taste, with that extra string and all :), but still very comfortable. The strings on it are cruddy, corroded and dead, so I only played through my MG10 tonight. I'll correct the string issue tomorrow and plug it in to the big amp tomorrow night to really put it through its paces. I'm pretty satisfied initially, though.

spychocyco

So turns out my local music store doesn't stock seven string sets. Not enough demand. And they didn't have a single .56 Slinky to make the set either. So it will be a couple of days before I hear it with new strings, but I still had to plug it in to the big amp tonight. Mainly cranked out a few Amon Amarth riffs, and I was pleasantly surprised by the sound, even with cruddy strings. Good crunch, good clarity. I was thinking that if I ended up really liking it, I'd probably drop DiMarzios in it at some point, but now I'm not so sure. Can't wait to hear it with good strings.

I'm also warming up to the neck, as wide as it is. This thing is really making me GAS more for that JP150, though. :)

SBMM

Great to hear you're in love with the newbie, and bummer that your store doesn't carry. Does he carry Ernie Ball strings at least? I'd give him the nudge-nudge that he now DOES have demand for seven string sets. If you don't mind, could you tell us the music stores' name?

spychocyco

They do carry EB strings. They just didn't have a seven-string set. I ain't mad at 'em, though. They've done a lot of good work for me. It's a small town, and I doubt there are many seven-stringers running around.

On the bright side, I got my strings in on Saturday, and this one stole most of my weekend playing time. Still a little awkward with my short fingers, but I'm liking it more than I ever expected to like a seven-string.

NorM

I had reMorse when I bought my second Steve Morse Model.

One Morse
then a second one

ReMorse

Top Bottom